Never Seen Nanaimo?
If you know what the Pacific Northwest looks like (Seattle, Vancouver) then you can already imagine some of the beauty of Nanaimo - a clean, dark green ocean under tall mountains and towering forests. But add the following features when you picture Nanaimo:
- Nanaimo occupies a large bend on the Island's coastline - with ocean to the north and east. It's a very "commanding" location.
- Many of the waters here are protected from the winds by small islands, which means that boating and swimming are more relaxing than in other areas of BC.
- Nanaimo gets less rain than Vancouver; we have Mediterranean-style rocky landscapes (similar to the Gulf Islands) in addition to the usual coastal BC lush rainforests.
- The city's size is perfect for those who want access to modern services, without big-city bustle. There is (almost) no rush-hour in Nanaimo, yet we have big malls and lots of government services.
- I wrote a page some years ago about the culture of Nanaimo.