+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nanaimo Bakery

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The only bakery in town I have been to is Lila's.

Kind of small but they have lots of good sweets.
    I go there while I'm on my break at work quite a bit.

Their Creme Brulée is to die for.

Yeah! I love it.

I'm big on the savoury stuff too... The Spinach/feta croissants are excellent... same with the twice baked potatoes.

My first job was filling meat pies and pumping jelly into doughnuts at the Scotch Bakery. I even continued to eat the pies and doughnuts after working there.

I miss eccles cakes :-(

mmmm... eccles.. oh, how I have a hankering for the deli today... think I will go there for lunch.

*edit*

Mmmm... ham&cheese quiche, mushroom soup & bun, coffee.. juuust over $5. Conversation with old lady, FREE!
    Last edited by fitz; 01-17-2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: I did it!

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianZ View Post
    The columbia bakery has the best cheese sticks in town....
    YES. I used to live on Northfield and ride my bike to work in Cassidy. I'd always get a cheesestick or two and some salty little twisty buns and muffins. Wow - if I ate that much nowadays, I'd be obeserat.

Hi folks,

I'm new here but came across this bakery today. I come to Nanaimo on a regular basis as my job requires me to execute projects there but noticed this bakery. What caught my attention was that it was a German bakery with the slogan "Wie Spreche Deutsche!"

I went to the bakery with little effort in having to search for it. I really love the decor of the bakery as it gives off a true European bakery/deli. What I found intruiging were the customers - they were mostly senior German citizens! I speak some German and can understand and all I heard was "Not many Asian people come here..." as they looked at me in curiosity.

I was amazed at their selection of pastries and cold/hot food available. I tried their lunch special, a roast beef plate with mashed potatos, peas, carrots smothered over beef gravy. Boy, was it ever good! Tastes just like how I remembered it in Berlin! Their soup was also very good along with the bread that comes with it. Awesome food!

To my dismay however, only a few staff members speak fluent German. I was hoping there'd be more German speaking ladies there but I guess you can't have only native German speakers working there.

Overall, I had an excellent experience at this bakery and would definately come back. Infact, I'm coming back in a few weeks and I already know where I'm going for lunch.
    Last edited by mobile_phone_guy; 10-26-2007 at 09:45 PM.

I think you would find more of the Germans you are talking about further up the road at the Columbia Bakery. Another good bakery!!
    Culinary Genius

The Columbia bakery makes amazing cheese sticks and croissants, mainly the ham and cheese. They make awesome breads too, but I must agree, the Nanaimo Bakery has the best desserts by far.

+ Reply to Thread