+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool Old Buildings in Nanaimo

Default Here's a thought..

The Quarter Way Hotel is kind of a cool old building, but my question is...A quarter of the way to what?

Default Just a guess....

Dave,

I'll go out on a limb here and guess, the Quarterway Pub was located a quarter of the way between the two coal burgs of Nanaimo and Wellington....

Cheers,
    Al

I like this weird old place on Albert St.
    my sisters boyfriend used to live in there its a cute place inside apperantly hehehe i like it to i think it is really interesting

Same ole is so lame.
    I vote we put Morgan on the list to run for mayor.If not Morgan how about Patrick?
    This town needs big time changes. Thats why I love this forum . Everyone seems to be full of fresh and innovative ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    Yeah, neat building!
    Love those horizontal blue lines coming off the window at left!

Bunky, would you consider posting the photo here?

EDIT: Thanks!

Re the building on Terminal Avenue. I remember this building used to be a nightclub about 30 years ago. I think it was called Ian's. Anyone else remember this?

Quote Originally Posted by AllieG View Post
    If I remember rightly, this place used to be the house of a lady called Jean Burns. She owned a ladies dress shop downtown, across from what used to be Eatons (sorry, downtown Nanaimo has changed sooooo much since I grew up there). It was the talk of the town when it was built - tennis courts, the lot. When she died it was sold and became a health spa.
    I didn't know the building on Terminal Ave was Jean Burn's house but I remember the Jean Burn's store. It was right where Acme Food Co is now. It was one of my favorite shopping places.

There is an old building with a false front on 4th street between Harewood Rd and Howard. It's a private home now but when I was a kid it was a corner store.
    Last edited by riverrat; 02-13-2007 at 01:45 AM. Reason: consolidating 3 consecutive posts by user

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    There is an old building with a false front on 4th street between Harewood Rd and Howard. It's a private home now but when I was a kid it was a corner store.
    Oh great! I've always wondered what was with that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Re the building on Terminal Avenue. I remember this building used to be a nightclub about 30 years ago. I think it was called Ian's. Anyone else remember this?

I didn't know the building on Terminal Ave was Jean Burn's house but I remember the Jean Burn's store. It was right where Acme Food Co is now. It was one of my favorite shopping places.

Hey Laurie

I grew up on 4th Street - and remember that store well. Used to be callled Watson's Store and run by a little old lady. Her family took it over for a while and then it was run by the Millen's.

I also used to shop at Jean Burns. They used to ring up my mum when they got a new consignment of clothes to say they had something that she might like! My how times have changed...

The Hills Art Gallery is the old telephone building built circa 1898 or so.
    The brick pub/hotel off Skinner is about 1898 as well.
    Many of the businesses on Commercial St are in old apartment blocks etc.
    1907-1930's. Nanaimo Travel Building and that whole block of buildings.
    Visit the cities web-site for more architectural info about old buildings.
    Virtual Heritage Walk
    http://www.nanaimo.ca/residents/inde..._collection=51

Default Speaking of old buildings...

Between Townsite and Rosehill Ave. on the highway, ( Terminal? ), there are some old Apartment buildings possibly with ground floor stores. This place was old when I was a kid in grade three way back in 70 or 71. If it's still there, go around the back. ( off of Rosehill ), and see if there are still a bunch of old balconies. This place used to look like an old European slum back in the day. Kinda wierd creepy in a Pippy Longstocking kind of way!

Bunky, I haven't had a chance to get up there, but I'm hoping someone else will photo/comment!

This is a building I see every day, because I launch my canoe on the shore right beside it (we're talkin' Protection Island). As you can see, it's collapsing all over. The dock part only collapsed a couple of weeks ago, but the rest has been derelict for some time. Whole walls are missing, and there's debris and junk falling out into the ocean. I understand it'll finally be dismantled, now that the functional part of the structure has collapsed.

I hear it was once a bustling shop, back when this stretch of Protection Island (called "Leeshore" or, once, "Happyland") was a busy resort area in the middle of the twentieth century. It's probably because it's right across Billy Bones Bay from Newcastle Island. Anyway, the shop rented out equipment to recreationists, and sold stuff. Goodbye old building!

+ Reply to Thread