+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old home in Nanaimo

Default Old home in Nanaimo

Hi everyone, I've been noticing an older home perched on a rock bluff overlooking Nanaimo.It's more visible this time of year with no leaves on the trees etc. As you come into town from Chase River, just past Petroglyph on the left side of the highway, if you look up on the rock bluff, you'll see an old home that appears to be boarded up. Looks to have been a nice spot to live at one time. Just curious if anyone has any information on who lived there etc. I believe the adress is 925 Harbour View Rd. According to the City of Nanaimo web site, it is called the Hunt Estate. Apparently someone is applying
    for a heritage grant.If you go to the City of Nanaimo web site & go to the city map, type in the address & you'll see where it is. Very secluded!! Any
    info is appeciated, Thanks

If it's the house on the cliff that I am thinking of It used to be a group home in the 90s. Had a million rooms and a hot tub, looks like a fantastic example of an "old house"

note: (remember the house across the street from the old movie theatre, and church/bar/church, was originally covered in vines and was the colour of faded cedar (grey) and someone bought it and fixed it all up, removed the vines and painted it in what is now called "heritage colours". It's on Old Victoria -- but I haven't been past in forever, is it still there all nice looking?

Well looks like the crackheads won this one. Burnt the place to the ground the other day. What a shame. Wonderfull world we live in.

Thanks, Russ

Shame none got stuck inside... lol joking! Did I just type that out loud?
    Cross your T's and dot your i's

A crow's nest in a Nanaimo Douglas fir tree

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    Hi everyone, I've been noticing an older home perched on a rock bluff overlooking Nanaimo.It's more visible this time of year with no leaves on the trees etc. As you come into town from Chase River, just past Petroglyph on the left side of the highway, if you look up on the rock bluff, you'll see an old home that appears to be boarded up. Looks to have been a nice spot to live at one time. Just curious if anyone has any information on who lived there etc. I believe the adress is 925 Harbour View Rd. According to the City of Nanaimo web site, it is called the Hunt Estate. Apparently someone is applying
    for a heritage grant.If you go to the City of Nanaimo web site & go to the city map, type in the address & you'll see where it is. Very secluded!! Any
    info is appeciated, Thanks
    Have a look on the map below:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

You might be able to point out the house there.

--
    TH

A crow's nest in a Nanaimo Douglas fir tree

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    Well looks like the crackheads won this one. Burnt the place to the ground the other day. What a shame. Wonderfull world we live in.

Thanks, Russ
    Doh! I missed your post. I drove by there today on the highway looking for it. Ain't there, of course!

--
    TH

That place scares the crap out of me. Isn't it really haunted? I was there with some friends, out front by those white pillars. We all got this horrible feeling that something was watching us. One guy said he could see something off in the distance between the pillars but none of us were dumb enough to go through them to look. :P

Here's what Spence said in the "haunted stuff and history of witchcraft in nanaimo" thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spence
    As post #125 says, there was an old white house, quite stately in it's time that sat on that site. It was owned by one of the mining companies, and was the residence of the manager. My grandparents lived at 18 Strickland(not there anymore) and my great grandparents at 20 Strickland. My mother told me stories of trick or treating in that are during the depression, and that the mine managers residence would give a nickel to trick or treaters. Most kids had three or four costumes, and would change them and go back for repeated visits. I have walked thru there with my granfather in the late fifites and early sixties, when the house was still stately. Never found anything creepy with it then. That residence address was 900 Nicol street. Before the late 1940's Nicol went up the hill and dead ended. The highway as we know it was not there, just a large rock bluff. You could go south on what was then the highway, Haliburton St. or by following Old Victoria Rd. to an intersection with Haliburton, about where the Bold Knight is now.
    I love information like that. I wish we had more old maps!

Well, I do have this one from 1955:

South Nanaimo in 1955

Here, I've added a red and a blue star - I can't tell which one shows where the Stickland house was!

Strickland House in 1955

I cannot seem to put an arrow, or any mark on the map, just don't know how, but if you look at the house that is just off the two o'clock point on the red star, the 900 Nicol St house is the one to the right of that heading towards the letters R1. The left hand red line is Nicol street after it became highway 19 and the right hand red line is Haliburton St. Just re-reading some of the earlier posts, and the civic address of the property is now 925 Harborview Rd. The records I have show people named Hunt, who was the mine manager living in that house circa 1937. The address then was indeed 900 Nicol, but definitely the same house, there was never any other remotely close to it.

I think the red arrow is roughly in the right location. Check this out

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This photo was taken before the house burnt down, a few years back. There was , evidently, a larger home on the property at one time, which burnt many years ago. Hunt family is correct as far as I know. The original owners home was the one that burnt first, his "manager or assistants" home is the one that burnt a year or so ago, the one in the pic. This is all I know, correct me if I am wrong

+ Reply to Thread