+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16
FirstFirst ... 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 152

Thread: Conference Centre

  1. #111
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    Makes the millions look like peanuts.....it's not 4 days , it has been years.
    For a centre that wasnt open yet. Way more difficult to book because lots of groups dont want to take a chance on delays etc. Now that is open, it will be an easier job for the marketing team.

    Not to mention your disregard of the process. Most convention bookings occur at least a year in advance, quite often more. I have never been to or presented at a conference that didnt know where the next years conference was going to be. It is always promoted heavily, particularly if there is a trade show component as the booths start selling at the show you are at. In that light, its pretty amazing that there are as many bookings as there are.

    But for those of you who seem to be incapable of seeing any part of this in a positive light, keep on naysaying. The rest of us are just going to move on.

  2. #112
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sustainibertarian View Post
    Is there any info on what the average number of people per conference is expected to be? Also, does the city have an estimated "economic multiplier" expected for each conference attendee?

    Thanks in advance,

    SBN
    The conference management team has said that they are starting with smaller conferences just to get things running smoothly. I think its fair, in the first year, to use that approach.

    As for the economic multiplier, thats a good question. I am guessing that we wont see any kind of meaningful statistics for a couple of years at least.

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,394

    Default

    Is that 90 conferences booked or does that include tradeshows and other bookings?

    The projections made in 2004 were for 157 conventions total for the first 5 years. Does year one end on June 1, 2009?

    Year 1 - 21
    Year 2 - 29
    Year 3 - 35
    Year 4 - 41
    Year 5 - 41

    Source - page8

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    The conference management team has said that they are starting with smaller conferences just to get things running smoothly. I think its fair, in the first year, to use that approach.

    As for the economic multiplier, thats a good question. I am guessing that we wont see any kind of meaningful statistics for a couple of years at least.
    Here is the city's original pamphlet which has the estimated "economic impact per person:http://www.nanaimo.ca/uploadedfiles/...re/QAguide.pdf

    The estimate was $350 spent per convention attendees. The conservative estimate was $250. I dont think this is the same as a multiplier, though.

    And here is a response which I believe I read in the FPN book and I imagine some or many of you are probably at least aware of: http://www.fpnnews.ca/index.php?opti...d=13&Itemid=64

  5. #115
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sustainibertarian View Post

    And here is a response which I believe I read in the FPN book and I imagine some or many of you are probably at least aware of: http://www.fpnnews.ca/index.php?opti...d=13&Itemid=64
    There are at least as many assumptions in the Bish report as there are in the cities studies. The difference is that the city will reveal how much it paid for its studies. FPN will not.

    They present these reports and rent an experts but do not reveal how much they pay for them. If you pay enough you can get anything slanted your way. I am not saying that this is the case with the Bish report, but if it isnt, why the secrecy?

    They will also not reveal who their financial backers are. Until they do it is impossible to give any creedence to what they produce.

  6. #116
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Its interesting to note the Canadian Federation of Independent Business released a report that rates Nanaimo very highly in fiscal responsibility of all the cities in BC. It would be hard to argue that the CFIB in any way is a fan of municipal governments.

    The Bulletin has a front page story in todays paper and the report is available here...

    http://www.cfib.ca/research/reports/rr3061.asp

  7. #117

    Default

    The only number I've heard thrown around regarding how much money it will mean for the community is that they are estimating that each participant coming from out of town to attend conferences there will be about $300 each.

    You can assume it's true or assume it's false, but either way your opinion is an assumption. (Sorry, I just tire of people making decisions based on their emotions rather than solid info. Something we Canadians do too much of.) I'm waiting to see what will happen. However, I was totally impressed when I walked into the nearly completed centre for the first time. It's an awesome facility. And I'm not easily impressed.
    Coast Realty Nanaimo
    www.ryan-coffey.com

  8. #118
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    483

    Default

    I can tell you for a fact that when I travel to a convention that the budget is for $400 / Day for every day I am gone. This includes airfare / hotel / food / vehicle but not conference or trade show fees. Meals are included but any hosted event (promotional) or large dinner for clients is also not included. If I do a 3 day show, its 5 days at $400 or $ 2000.00 budget. The cost average is very close to that.

    I do this 10 -13 times a year so those numbers are pretty accurate.
    Last edited by dilligaf; 06-11-2008 at 06:02 PM.

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    There are at least as many assumptions in the Bish report as there are in the cities studies. The difference is that the city will reveal how much it paid for its studies. FPN will not.

    They present these reports and rent an experts but do not reveal how much they pay for them. If you pay enough you can get anything slanted your way. I am not saying that this is the case with the Bish report, but if it isnt, why the secrecy?

    They will also not reveal who their financial backers are. Until they do it is impossible to give any creedence to what they produce.
    Supposed payments have absoutely no impact on how true or false Bish's argument is. If you paid me $1000 to say water is wet, does it make my statement false?

  10. #120
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sustainibertarian View Post
    Supposed payments have absoutely no impact on how true or false Bish's argument is. If you paid me $1000 to say water is wet, does it make my statement false?

    Bish is not stating fact. In your words, he is making an argument. If you get paid to make an argument, that in itself casts doubt on your reason for saying it and on the validity of your argument.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts