+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Do NOT cut down trees @ Coliery Dam Park!!

Default Do NOT cut down trees @ Coliery Dam Park!!

I couldn't believe when we took our dog for a walk throught the dam the other day. It looked like they were ready to cut down trees. I did a little research and found out that they are planning on putting a water main right throught the park.

Here's the news story:

(MOD EDIT: Link went dead so I removed it)

We should not allow this to happen! They can go around the park. Was this desicion ever brought to the publics attention?

What would people think if we started a petition to not allow them to go through the park?

Does anyone feel the same way about this?
    Last edited by riverrat; 02-17-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: removed dead link

From the same article.

'Engineering is working with the parks department to identify trees that could be affected. Those marked have been mapped, so planners can look for a route that affects the fewest number of trees, Moscrip said.

“Some of them will no doubt come out, but I couldn’t tell you how many.”

He said staff realize the sensitivity of cutting trees in a popular park, and they propose a route that follows existing trails to “minimize disruption.”

Trees chopped down elsewhere could allow new trails to be developed, opening up inaccessible areas for users.'

(MOD EDIT: Link went dead so I removed it)
    Last edited by riverrat; 02-17-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Removed dead link

I fail to see how the engineering department's recognition about "the sensitivity of cutting trees in a popular park" and their proposal for "a route that follows existing trails to “minimize disruption”" addresses the concerns raised by our new member. (Welcome, zander z!)

This map might help us to visualize things. I've marked the "alternate route" in red - the one mentioned in the article, running down to Wakesiah, south to 6th, thence to Howard and then to 7th. (I hope I understood it right - not sure exactly where the line would start on Nanaimo Lakes Rd, or where the line can be connected on 7th.)

Only an idiot would fail to see why they want to go through the park. But I'm not convinced that the cost savings are worth it, without knowing more. The cutting of a lot of mature trees in one of our top 5 parks is something to think twice about. I generally think there's too little parkspace in relation to cleared land.
    Last edited by riverrat; 02-13-2008 at 11:09 PM.

What are the cost differences in going the long way? Is there a lot of disruption require to rip up all of those roads in going the long way?

Is there provision to create new trails in the park when the project is complete?

It sure would be nice to get some facts before we fly off the handle
    Last edited by dilligaf; 02-13-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Hey Riverrat nice map. Can you post one that shows the straight line route through the park?

Thanks click - I don't wanna post a map with a line through the park, because I don't really know where that line is going to be.

It would be cool if someone who knows the park could right-click on my map, save the image to their computer, then find the file on their computer, right-click on it, choose "open with >", and open the picture in Microsoft Paint - then they can modify the image according to what they know (perhaps they've seen the marked trees?), and then save it, and attach it to a post.

Default amended map

Gerry,
    I walk the trails in colliery dam pretty much every day, so I was suprised to see the city had planned to cut through the park with the waterline...but I can see how there will be a fairly significant cost savings with the park route. ( I've altered your map to give an approximate depiction of the proposed route)
    Still I'd rather there was another option as it really is one of Nanaimo's gems that I'd hate to see damaged...and many of the trees "blue dotted" are huge old cedars and douglas firs. As for new trails, well that's the city's way of trying to sell the route, cause there really isn't much that the waterline route will bring to the existing trail system - it never runs more than about 50 feet from existing trails and in fact will neccesitate the tearing up of a fairly good stretch of the parkway trail through the park.

Cheers,
    Al
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	amended pic.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	602  
    "Enlightenment begins,
    Where the pavement ends"

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post
    it never runs more than about 50 feet from existing trails and in fact will neccesitate the tearing up of a fairly good stretch of the parkway trail through the park.

So, from what you say, most of the line is going through existing trailways? I mean if it is the parkway trail getting torn up for most of it, is that a really bad thing? The city is already on record that they are going to try and minimize the damage to the park.

Unless someone can show me how it isnt going to cost alot more to go around, it seems like due diligence has been done. Lets remember that colliery dam was once part of Nanaimo's water supply and is a man made recreation area, not a pristine wilderness.

Default A good Point

Dilligaf,

Unfortunately, the cuts (and subsequent trails) would be near, but not on the existing trails with the exception of the part where they will have to tear up the parkway trail. And they're cutting a pretty wide swath (is that the right word?) if all what they've "blue dotted" is going to be felled.

I hope this doesn't come off as "anti-progress" ...it isn't meant to be, it's just saddening to me to see forested parkland being logged..I realise that part of the trail system I so enjoy is in fact the right of way of an old waterline..and I for one am actually looking forward to development in the southend such as Cable Bay and the First Nations properties as it will even out the lopsided development of the city which has favoured the north end and allowed the south to atrophy. Not to mention the fact that I'm a homeowner and ratepayer in the city and realise it is the responsibility of our local government to get the best "bang for the buck", even if it means making an unpopular decision, such as this.

Cheers,
    Al
    "Enlightenment begins,
    Where the pavement ends"

I agree with all of what you said. I am not for or against the waterline yet. I like Colliery Dam park and would prefer it wasnt used for the waterline but...

I too am a homeowner and ratepayer and we have to look at this realistically. I just hate to see the lack of hard facts and overabundance of emotion in all of these arguments.

I really dont mind paying a bit extra to prevent the work in the park but only to a point. Whoever shows me the best hard data for or against will have my support

+ Reply to Thread