+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 7-10 club- NOT WELCOME

Default 7-10 club- NOT WELCOME

There it is.

I am really hoping that the sale of harewood elementary does not go through and this "soup kitchen" stays the hell out of my neighborhood.

Our neighborhood just rallyed together to get a drug house evicted and out of our neighborhood.

Why do we want this in a neighborhood? beside a preschool? This is bulls**t.

I'm not being patronizing at all when asking this:

Why would you oppose a place that provides food for families that cannot afford their own?

I can understand not wanting a drug house, but isn't this a place for underprivilaged families to go get one of their basics human rights - food?

In our world of excess, we can't allow a community service like this to exist in our neighbourhoods?

I'm just confused.

I agree! We do not want soup kitchens anywhere! We all want our world, country, city and especially our neighbourhoods free of having to provide for those less fortunate or unable to look after themselves. But those that need those soup kitchens are not going anywhere soon and need a place to go to.

Where would you suggest we put a soup kitchen? Where you aware that at least three regular users of the 7-10 club live within a block of ex-Harewood Elementary Twenty-Four Hours a Day/Seven Days a Week. Perhaps we can suggest they move out of your precious neighbourhood.

But seriously, to compare a soup kitchen to a drug house? That's not fair!

its not the free food that i am apposed to, its the problems that having this in this neighborhood will bring.

Why do you think they got kicked out of the church? People that lived near the church they were in said they would come home to find people smoking crack in there back alleys.

Thats the kind of "problems" I don't want my family around.

And if I can prevent it. I will.

You know it's really simple to say" let the 710 club help people....bla bla bla..." but really if it was in your back yard, I'm sure that you'd have the same opinion as me.

Quote Originally Posted by zander z View Post

You know it's really simple to say" let the 710 club help people....bla bla bla..." but really if it was in your back yard, I'm sure that you'd have the same opinion as me.
    Instant Karma

Why don't you volunteer at the soup kitchen when and if it does open so that you can help to ensure the "problems" that may occur, don't. What better way to keep an eye on things than being involved? Who better than someone such as yourself who is already aware of the potential "dangers" to help ensure the place runs smooth and clean and becomes a shining example of how a community participates in the happenings and operation of their neighborhood? With you involved, how could it possibly become a negative?

A crow's nest in a Nanaimo Douglas fir tree

There it is.

I am really hoping that the sale of harewood elementary does not go through and this "soup kitchen" stays the hell out of my neighborhood.

Our neighborhood just rallyed together to get a drug house evicted and out of our neighborhood.

Why do we want this in a neighborhood? beside a preschool? This is bulls**t.
    It wouldn't bother me if the soup kitchen was next door to my residence. It's not like it's a crack shack or anything.

Food should be a right. We should not have to demand it. And people shouldn't have to fight so hard to get food for the poor. I know there are abuses of the system. But then there are people who really need the help. I'm talking about the physically and mentally ill. $800.00/month from Social Assistance just doesn't cut it these days, especially in Nanaimo where the average rent is about that much.

--
    TH

Why do you think they got kicked out of the church? People that lived near the church they were in said they would come home to find people smoking crack in there back alleys.
    As with many groups of people, it's usually the actions of a few that ruin it for the majority.

I'm not sure that focussing on those individuals who abuse the system is the right thing to do. Should we ignore all the rest of the good work that is being done?

And if there are a few "problem" abusers, let's address those specifically in an open and frank forum. Maybe the soup kitchen could ban those particular offenders, and contact the police when they come around? I'm sure not EVERYONE using this wonderful service smoke crack in the back alleys.

Thats the kind of "problems" I don't want my family around.
    I'm sure that's the kind of "problems" that families who need the soup kitchen don't want around either.

And if I can prevent it. I will.

Honestly, I have the same kind of compassion towards you as I have compassion towards those who do not have access to food.

Love, tolerance, and compassion are also basic human rights, that I'm afraid you are starving in. So I honestly hope you find some.

If people are hungry in my neighbourhood, I would hope that I would open my own home to them, nevermind turn to some other organization to do the good work "in my back yard".

Peace, brother.

Piper Guest

Just want to tell you that I live almost next door to the 7-10 clubs current location and have no bad things to say about the clients who visit there.
    You really must not fear about things you think might happen these people are no different than you and I. They are just looking for a place to eat and socialize and regardless the place they are looking at to buy is already zoned for what they want to use it for. I doubt if you can stop it if the sale is approved

Wow, I can't believe there are people in this world who think like this!

As a kid, I was in a less fortunate family who on occasion, had to go to the "soup kitchen", as you so call it. It not only helped us, but encouraged us to keep fighting, and the volunteers are not only helpful, but also caring, and responsible in what they do! I encourage the 7-10 club to move wherever they think would be best for those in need, and I will back them up in any decision they make.

+ Reply to Thread