+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21
FirstFirst ... 7 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Brennan or Ruttan?

Random thought just now by us over a few beers:

If Diane becomes Mayor, and with Jamie as school board chair, isn't that too much power for one household?

Quote Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
    I'm proud of Diane for taking part in the Remembrance Day ceremony. It is surprising her participation has been met with scorn. It was a ceremony, not a council meeting, and Diane has proven time and again her ability to make collaborative decisions on council regardless of party affiliation.

Many people died so we could be free to belong to any political party we want. John still hasn't revealed which party he is affiliated with, if any. Having a mayor involved in politics on a number of levels is beneficial to our city. It shows Diane's breadth of civic experience.
    It also shows that she is partisan, and part of the so-called "Old Boys Club". If you are not a member of her party, you get less consideration.

Chinese politics has a very similar situation...

I would say "No offense meant" but I would be lying. What a load of ###.

All Diane did was attend a Remembrance Day Ceremony and place a wreath. The fact she did it for the Government of Canada so what? If you are getting so petty that you criticize her for something like that please dont vote because your critical thinking skills are way too shallow.

As a Canadian I dont give a rats ### who places the wreath as long as it is someone who shows respect for the people of Canada and all those within it. I think Diane more than fits the bill.

In fact I think pretty much most Canadians have the right to place a wreath as thanks from our country for the sacrifices that have been made.

Why does the fact she belongs to the NDP suddenly mean that she has alternative motives?

I am tired of the divisive nature of provincial politics in that if you are a Liberal supporter you must be a capitalist who doesnt care about those less fortunate whereas if you are an NDP member that means you must be willing to give up everything for the union member.

I think that a number of BC residents have some growing up to do with respect to their views of their fellow citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickj View Post
    I would say "No offense meant" but I would be lying. What a load of ###.

All Diane did was attend a Remembrance Day Ceremony and place a wreath. The fact she did it for the Government of Canada so what? If you are getting so petty that you criticize her for something like that please dont vote because your critical thinking skills are way too shallow.

As a Canadian I dont give a rats ### who places the wreath as long as it is someone who shows respect for the people of Canada and all those within it. I think Diane more than fits the bill.

In fact I think pretty much most Canadians have the right to place a wreath as thanks from our country for the sacrifices that have been made.

Why does the fact she belongs to the NDP suddenly mean that she has alternative motives?

I am tired of the divisive nature of provincial politics in that if you are a Liberal supporter you must be a capitalist who doesnt care about those less fortunate whereas if you are an NDP member that means you must be willing to give up everything for the union member.

I think that a number of BC residents have some growing up to do with respect to their views of their fellow citizens.
    Rickj, I think the point the naysayers (me included) are trying to make is, had Diane just shown up (as I am sure 80% of all the candidates did) there would be no complaint. However the fact that Diane has, on several occasions, indicated that she will NOT allow her ties/membership to the NDP to interfere in her civic politics; yet on a very significant date at a very public ceremony, Diane is front and centre thanks in no small part to her Federal NDP associate.

The optics are just bad.

I agree with titan5. Diane's attendance at the event is respectable, but for her to act as a representative, on behalf of a federal NDP'er is suspect. By associating herself with federal NDP MP she is leaving herself open for criticism and questions about her vow to not to let party affliations get in the way of city politics. This is not a good way to start.

There is no problem with her being an NDP'er, but as a staunch supporter/representative, she will be adding to the divisive nature provincial politics into residents. If Diane attends these sorts of events as a city representative rather than an NDP MP rep, she can avoid those questions as to her motives.

If Diane truly cares about keeping party affiliation out of municipal politics she should relook at her decisions regarding events and supporting the NDP machine. If she is too vocal or involved in the NDP while serving as our Mayor, we will have problems with senior levels of government here in BC.

Diane has admitted that she is an NDP supporter and stated that it wouldn't interfere with her municipal politics. She appeared with our local MP at a public function. So what! I have seen Gary at public functions with Liberal MLA's and John Ruttan has been at many functions with various MP's and MLA's. So what! Larry Iwaskow once entered a bathtub race and John shook his hand . . .. .. WHO CARES! If this was not during an election campaign it would not be newsworthy.

BTW: I am not a Diane supporter, but then most of you know that

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey© View Post
    Diane has admitted that she is an NDP supporter and stated that it wouldn't interfere with her municipal politics. She appeared with our local MP at a public function. So what! I have seen Gary at public functions with Liberal MLA's and John Ruttan has been at many functions with various MP's and MLA's. So what! Larry Iwaskow once entered a bathtub race and John shook his hand . . .. .. WHO CARES! If this was not during an election campaign it would not be newsworthy.

BTW: I am not a Diane supporter, but then most of you know that
    Had Gary laid a wreath representing the City, great I expect that from our Mayor. Diane is NOT our Federal representative and she was only able to take a prominent place at the ceremony as a result of a favour afforded her through her Federal NDP associate at a time she needs to be as visible as possible.

Diane has claimed her NDP ties will not interfere yet she takes every opportunity to take advantage of those allegiances every chance she gets.

Had Diane just shown up and stood tall as did the other hundreds that did, this would not be an issue.

Piper Guest

Rickj, it looks like some people on the forum are getting worried about Diane Brennan possibly becoming our new mayor. I see Gary got front page news again today anouncing funding for homeless projects. And I must also say he was with Liberal housing minister Rich Coleman But I guess supporting Liberals while running for mayor is different from supporting NDP while running for mayor?

DAILY NEWS - BC Boost City Housing Plan with Cash

I don't think Korpan was supporting Rich Coleman, he was meeting with Rich to discuss the funding for homeless projects. I would find it odd if Gary did not meet with Rich Coleman while he was in town.

This is a much different situation from that of Diane Brennan acting as a representative federally for the NDP. Nowhere is Gary acting on behalf of the provincial or federal Liberals.

*You can count me in as one of those worried about Diane being mayor.* I guess I'm pulling for John Ruttan then? I'm still sitting on the fence...
    Last edited by Blue; 11-13-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added newspaper article link

Piper Guest

Well I watched the mayoral candidates meeting and as Mr Korpan accussed Diane of being involved with the NDP. Diane accused Korpan of being involved with the Liberals.
    Who cares? We are looking for a mayor on Saturday and what difference does it make if they support Liberals, NDP, the green party or whoever if you think they are right for Nanaimo then vote for them if you think they are bad for Nanaimo then don't vote for them.

+ Reply to Thread