+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Homeless to homes...

Default Homeless to homes...

Okay, here is a plan. There are several almost built/finished new condo projects here in Nanaimo. Very few of these small 500-800sq ft homes have sold. The government could purchase some of these and make them available to low/no income persons whom are presently residentially challenged. This would have several benefits.

Firstly, we could move some of our most vulnerable people off the street and into safe housing.

Secondly, it would free up the developers money to be used in creating more housing. Deals could be made so that these next new housing units, could consist of mixed income households. No enclave of the rich and conversely, no ghettos of the poor. Balance.

Thirdly, the spin-offs to our local economy would ensure the building suppliers and the plumbing suppliers and the food stores and the…etc., maintain a income in these troubled times. Moreover, we could insist the next new projects are built with local materials and local talent, thus further “spreading the wealth” in our communities.

Finally, all the talk by Governments with regards to infusion of monies for infrastructure sounds good, but do we really need more roads and more petroleum based services, car dealerships, gas stations, etc? Why not use this opportunity to really go green.

FIRE IT UP!

Piper Guest

Great ideas Homeless, I saw a few weeks ago on the news an idea made in Victoria where they had built miniature houses wich were 6400 sqaure feet and included cupboards a bunk to sleep on and a place out of the weather. (no facilities for cooking or washroom) at a price of $ 15,000 each This caught my attention and I thought this could work as an imediate solution rather than wait up to 5 years for homes for the current homeless people which has the potential to triple within those 5 years.

I like the idea - affordable housing is ridiculous in Nanaimo. It seems almost every apartment complex is going condo and requiring mortgages to keep living there (which has happened TWICE to my brother in the last couple years - he keeps having to move as each complex decides to follow the condo mode.)

There needs to be a more permanent solution to the problem. Rather than throwing money at a temporary solution that would take a fair bit of time to setup and regulate properly, let's use that money for long term solutions.

Transitional housing for those with mental illness, another for addictions is needed right away. That would house a majority of the homeless, there are still others that choose to be homeless. A program of this size would need provincial or federal help.

Apartment/condo conversions - I don't see very many apartment buildings in Nanaimo being converted to condos, where are you seeing these neecy2k?
    Some apartment buildings are run down and the only way to bring in enough revenue to cover the cost of upgrades, etc, would be to convert to condos and sell. They are not able to increase rents enough to cover even close to the upgrade costs.
    (The rent increase maximum was 4% per year I believe, I think it is set each year in relation to inflation, which is too low IMO). With assessments of many buildings/homes rising much higher than that over the last few years, including costs of repairs, utilies, city user fees, etc, many landlords are in a tight spot where they are losing money some homes/apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by homeless View Post
    Okay, here is a plan. There are several almost built/finished new condo projects here in Nanaimo. Very few of these small 500-800sq ft homes have sold. The government could purchase some of these and make them available to low/no income persons whom are presently residentially challenged. This would have several benefits.

Firstly, we could move some of our most vulnerable people off the street and into safe housing.

In all of these buildings there are strata corporations made up of the owners of the condos. I could see major legal problems with the government buying up the remaining suites and turning those buildings partially into low-income housing blocks. This would not only leave some of the tenants in fear for safety, but also the prices of the condos would drop almost instantly. If this plan was setup prior to those people buying, it wouldn't be a problem. But to bring this in afterwards would lead to an ugly evil battle where the social advocates would be fighting with those greedy condos owners who are just looking out for their own well being.

If I bought into a pre-sale condo, and two years later I hear the government was buying a good chunk of the building for low-income housing I would be worried about my home/investment. Not worried about my personal safety, but my financial situation could be screwed if the value of my home dropped by let's say 30%, which could easily happen in this case.

Blue,
    you hit the nail on the head. The condos are empty! their is no strata council, yet. The government could appoint tenants to sit on the strata and everyone can play fair. I would rather have the poor soul who nows lives outside in the bush between the any of the new condos downtown , sleeping and cleaning up his life in a safe place. Safe for everyone. We cant just turn our backs on the poor. They are a majority so we need to include them in our housing plans. Mixed income communities work and are green and that is where we need to look if we want to turn this thing around. over to you..

Homeless, you state these places are empty yet some have been sold? If they are sold, then the original purchasers must be able to regain the current market value of the condo they bought before any changes can be made. When a condo is sold there are certain conditions laid upon it. I am unaware of any condo project that is completely empty with NO units having been sold.

Could you inform us which projects you are specifically discussing here?

Homeless, but those condos are not empty. There are no condo buildings in Nanaimo built unless there is 30% pre-sale at the very least. These people that signed purchase agreements in 2006-2007 for a building complete in '08. If there were given notice before purchasing that the building could be converted into a mixed-use/low income housing, they may not have purchased. Also, they value of their condo would not be as high with this change to the building. Those purchasers would have every right, and an extremely sound case, to sue the developer or government for damages. Their whole financial situation can be completely screwed if the value goes down 30% because of a major change. That is why this cannot and will not happen. If there are ZERO sales in the building that is possible, but the building wouldn't be built in that case.

So either it has to be declared at the beginning of sales process, or all owners would have to agree (highly unlikely). There isn't really a realistic way of doing this without major legal battles happening.

Where are these empty buildings you speak of?

I really like this idea for short term.

Quote Originally Posted by TH2008 View Post
    Tents are bloody terrible in the winter time! Have you ever gone camping in a tent in the winter? The condensation runs down the tent walls to the floor and eventually everything gets soaking wet. It's a nightmare. Tents may be ok in Southern California at this time of year, but not here.

Something has to give here. The city will one day have to put up or shut up. Portable trailers may be one way to help people during these horribly wet fall and winter months in Nanaimo. I'm talking these types of trailers:

http://www.atcostructures.com/01Prod...DrillCamps.htm

They could be fitted with bunks and a shower room, with a sink, toilet, etc. 10 people per trailer. Also heated with electricity. The hours of operation would be from 7:00 PM in the evening, to 7:00 AM in the morning. After that, the people would have to leave for the day, and the trailer be cleaned. There would also need to be site security while there are tenants in the trailer.

But it's a matter of finding the lot to set them up on, screening the people who are to be admitted to the camp to make sure they are drug and booze free. And also finding the property to do this could be a problem. Neighbourhoods in Nanaimo tend to frown on this type of thing.

A pilot project of say two trailers on a lot would be a good start. Let's see how it goes. And if it doesn't become a filthy ghetto, then it might be worthwhile expanding, until something better gets built.

--
    TH
    We could set up these temporary on either the (former school) property off 4th Street (near Watfield) leasing the property for a selective period of time from the School District (this type of use would qualify), or other suitable empty property in the city.

Of course the Harewood residents are going to complain but if this project is done properly, there will be no concern needed. No matter where it is put, someone will complain, but as a short term solution, I think it could be doable.

we still need teach those homeless how to fish, rather than give them fish, which just feed them a day, they do not have suvivor skills, like looking for jobs, apply government assistance, not even write or read.....

this is unfair for condo owners who originally purchase this location and find out neighbours are becoming ghetto...

do you know that, this simply will drive down property value, means less property tax for city????
    when crisis strikes, there are always opportunities in the hood.

+ Reply to Thread