+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Witchcraft lake

Threaded View

Default Witchcraft lake

Can anyone please explain to me ho to get to the plane wreck near Witchcraft lake? I've been trying to get there but I can't seem to find it.
    I beleive I am capable of using any kind of info you can give, but the absolute best, would be a gps waypoint in any format at the wreck site. Or perhaps a map. It doesn't have to be a good map. Just one with identifiable landmarks, and I can do the rest.
    Simple directions would be useful too.
    Last edited by riverrat; 03-24-2006 at 09:54 PM.

You mean the one that went down in 1951, and 23 died?
    There are some directions on this Vancouver Island virtual airlines site. Scroll down to the post by user "Corey".

More info on the Witchcraft Lake Wreck

I also want to point out that in another thread, fitz posted pictures from another Vancouver Island plane wreck.
    Last edited by riverrat; 04-14-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Thanx, Riverrat. I may try again tomorrow. Ithink I'm on the right trail, but i just haven't gone far enough up it yet. Very steep.
    When I find it, I'll post another map with tracking and cordinates.
    If you try to fail, and you succeed, which have you done?.

Well, I found it. At least I think I did. And now I understand why no one seems to know where it is. Cause there's only a handful of pieces left lying about. In fact, if you were to lay all the pieces together, it would only cover about 2 square meters of ground.
    Anyway, here's a map and some cordinates if anyone wants to check it out. When going up the trail just before the viewpoint directly on the trail, there is an area that's fairly level with rockface on your left. Find a way to the top of the rockface and look for an orange ribbon. this ribbon is marking the location of the largest plane piece I found shown in the picture below. Remember, if you get to the viewpoint, you went slightly too far.

Happy Trails!!!!

Attached Images  
    Last edited by riverrat; 12-30-2006 at 11:37 PM.

A crow's nest in a Nanaimo Douglas fir tree

Quote Originally Posted by 4byfourbyeIV View Post
    Well, I found it. At least I think I did. And now I understand why no one seems to know where it is. Cause there's only a handful of pieces left lying about. In fact, if you were to lay all the pieces together, it would only cover about 2 square meters of ground.
    Anyway, here's a map and some cordinates if anyone wants to check it out. When going up the trail just before the viewpoint directly on the trail, there is an area that's fairly level with rockface on your left. Find a way to the top of the rockface and look for an orange ribbon. this ribbon is marking the location of the largest plane piece I found shown in the picture below. Remember, if you get to the viewpoint, you went slightly too far.

Happy Trails!!!!

Man! That image is so freaky. I remember hearing friends talk about this 20 and 30 years ago and we all sat and listened like it was some great ghost story. But to actually see the pics is just wild. I can't image what it must had been like to be on that plane all those years ago and know one really knew what happened.

--
    TH

How hard of a hike is it?

My other half and I were thinking about going up...But I am pregnant and kind of um, slow....
    Do you think we could make it? How long did it take you? How difficult of a hike is it?

Ayiee, those contour lines make me wanna stay in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone
    How hard of a hike is it?

My other half and I were thinking about going up...But I am pregnant and kind of um, slow....
    Do you think we could make it? How long did it take you? How difficult of a hike is it?
    Um.....well, Persephone.....to be honest, it's a spectacular trail with lots to see (if you find them). Theres a plane wreck site, an old log cabin, and many viewpoints, but, I don't believe it could be any more straight up and still be called a trail.
    I am attaching a vertical profile of the trail from the lake to the viewpoint. and you can see for yourself, that I can't recomend it to an expecting mother. I believe it would prove very difficult, but it's something to keep in mind for the future. I'l attach a pic of the place they refer to as "the cottage", which is much further up the trail then the plane site. Also very cool.

Attached Images  
    Last edited by riverrat; 12-30-2006 at 11:39 PM.

hey - cool trip report & pictures... gotta check that trail out for sure.

Default Witchcraft Lake.....Canso-A CF-FOQ crash site

Howdy once again 4x4x4....Please let me know where the actual impact area of the crash site is and I'd be happy to join you there. I have been up there and cannot find it. It should be at the 1200 foot level with a rock knoll like a nose sticking out of the shear rock face. Thanx,
    STAN THE MAN

+ Reply to Thread