+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Witchcraft lake

Quote Originally Posted by stanley strazza View Post
    .....thanx Gr74....so now I'll give you a look at a few more......so enjoy them and do not forget to credit me and my collection and the Cedar pioneer Mr. Jim Marsden who took the pix......stan the man
    Thanking you again for a look into Nanaimo's past, and also to Mr. Jim Marsden for the wreck photos. A guy like me only wishes the wreckage was still up there and that I could hike up and look around myself.

I once saw an old distorted propeller blade chained up in a guy's yard in Chase River. I think this was about 15 years ago now. He had taken some paint and written "propeller from Mt. Benson plane crash, 1951" on it. It sat there for quite a few years before he decided to move it. I guess he figured someone would come along with bolt cutters, snip the chain and make off with his relic.

Speaking of those old '32 coupes, a friend's dad told me he and his buddies used to be able to buy those old cars around here for 25 bucks when they were considered 'beaters', maybe from a wrecking yard. I think it was in the 1950's or 60's. They'd buy 'em cheap and race them around Harewood, beat on them, run them into the ground. When they trashed one, they'd go buy another. Good times!!

Quote Originally Posted by GR74 View Post
    Thanking you again for a look into Nanaimo's past, and also to Mr. Jim Marsden for the wreck photos. A guy like me only wishes the wreckage was still up there and that I could hike up and look around myself.

I once saw an old distorted propeller blade chained up in a guy's yard in Chase River. I think this was about 15 years ago now. He had taken some paint and written "propeller from Mt. Benson plane crash, 1951" on it. It sat there for quite a few years before he decided to move it. I guess he figured someone would come along with bolt cutters, snip the chain and make off with his relic.

Speaking of those old '32 coupes, a friend's dad told me he and his buddies used to be able to buy those old cars around here for 25 bucks when they were considered 'beaters', maybe from a wrecking yard. I think it was in the 1950's or 60's. They'd buy 'em cheap and race them around Harewood, beat on them, run them into the ground. When they trashed one, they'd go buy another. Good times!!
    .....very interesting story on one the propellor blade off the Mt. Benson plane crash, it would have been a Hamilton-Standard model a needle type......I have also heard that a fella in the Jingle Pot area also has one blade hiding in his basement.....I just can't get in contact with the guy, he doesn't answer my e-mails......yowzers! 25 bucks for an old Model-A, incredible......I do remember a Model-A sitting in the lane amongst tall grass many years ago between Winchester and 5th....a panel style she was.....long gone now.........thanx GR74....cool input from the plane..........stan the man

.....very interesting story on one the propellor blade off the Mt. Benson plane crash, it would have been a Hamilton-Standard model a needle type......I have also heard that a fella in the Jingle Pot area also has one blade hiding in his basement.....I just can't get in contact with the guy, he doesn't answer my e-mails......yowzers! 25 bucks for an old Model-A, incredible......I do remember a Model-A sitting in the lane amongst tall grass many years ago between Winchester and 5th....a panel style she was.....long gone now.........thanx GR74....cool input from the plane..........stan the man
    25 bucks was what they were paying back in the early 60's. These cars were in pretty rough shape, too.

I saw that prop years ago, don't know if the same people still live in that house. Would like to find out. It was just a few houses up the street from Brookdale Mobile Home Park, in behind the new Country Grocer. Is that 12th Street? I remember it vividly, it was the first time I'd heard (or seen anything) about the Benson crash.

I'm off work for the day tomorrow, I might go bang on his door. I don't like to bother people that way, but there's only one way to find out....

25 bucks was what they were paying back in the early 60's. These cars were in pretty rough shape, too.

I saw that prop years ago, don't know if the same people still live in that house. Would like to find out. It was just a few houses up the street from Brookdale Mobile Home Park, in behind the new Country Grocer. Is that 12th Street? I remember it vividly, it was the first time I'd heard (or seen anything) about the Benson crash.

I'm off work for the day tomorrow, I might go bang on his door. I don't like to bother people that way, but there's only one way to find out....
    .....awesome info on the old time racing around Harwood for sure....I am sure it must have been a blast.....GR74 if you do speak to anyone about the plane prop may I suggest you be gentle about it being in their possession.....sometimes people are wary of being accused of grave robbing....the idea is to just simple take a look at it, you can deal about sharing it with others later.....thanx for your info input on the subject.....If you feel comfortable with the residents looking for more info on it, possibly give them my cell # 250-619-4408 and I will be happy to share my 8 yrs of info on that plane crash with them.......you now have entered the wreck-chasing info search.......have fun with it......cause' I do know it will reward you tenfold......cheers!......stan the man

.....check out a new pic in my plane crash album....it shows the two props side by side where thay landed after the horiffic explosion when she hit the sheer rock face of Benson......any body got goosebumps yet?....tsk,tsk,tsk.....enjoy.....stan the man

I was perusing Holland Rd the other day. Has anyone seen the beatuy Cessna grounded in someones back yard? Do i ever want to buy that..

.....check out a new pic in my plane crash album....it shows the two props side by side where thay landed after the horiffic explosion when she hit the sheer rock face of Benson......any body got goosebumps yet?....tsk,tsk,tsk.....enjoy.....stan the man
    I went to Extension today, stopped in Chase River to see about that prop. Nobody was home, but I'm sure the same guy still lives there. He still owns the same truck, I saw it in his back yard. A red and white Ford pickup. I'll try again another day Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by dpill View Post
    I was perusing Holland Rd the other day. Has anyone seen the beatuy Cessna grounded in someones back yard? Do i ever want to buy that..
    I hear that after WWII, guys used to buy the old Wellingtons and Avro Lancasters cheap and take 'em home and convert them into chicken coupes....

I went to Extension today, stopped in Chase River to see about that prop. Nobody was home, but I'm sure the same guy still lives there. He still owns the same truck, I saw it in his back yard. A red and white Ford pickup. I'll try again another day Stan.
    .....you are the man GR74 thanx....would you please let me know if his name is Gallows or maybe some relation to him.....another new pic awaits your viewing in my album

I hear that after WWII, guys used to buy the old Wellingtons and Avro Lancasters cheap and take 'em home and convert them into chicken coupes....
    .....uh huh!....the Canso-A's sold for $2500.00 but had cost us taxpayers $90,000 apiece to build....now that was a good deal for sure........*where is Holland Rd by the way?......stan the man
    Last edited by stanley strazza; 03-11-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread