+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Nanaimo Harbor for the rich????

Default Nanaimo Harbor for the rich????

The Nanaimo Port Authority has distributed a proposed amendment to their authority which will severely restrict the public use of the Harbour to boaters whom live aboard or anchor their vessels. This proposed change is punitive and unacceptable to all Canadians. Furthermore they have installed gates preventing the passage along the taxpayer funded PUBLIC marina, further restricting our use of the harbour. Please pick up a copy of the proposed changes at the wharfingers office in the harbour and pay close attention to section 10 of the proposal which limits the period vessels may be anchored in these PUBLIC waters. Many people rely on this PUBLIC facility and harbour. Many of the liveaboards have very little money to pay for, and maintain these draconian measures. I suggest a flotilla of boaters get together to show our contempt for these ridiculous measures.

Quote Originally Posted by homeless View Post
    Please pick up a copy of the proposed changes at the wharfingers office in the harbour and pay close attention to section 10 of the proposal which limits the period vessels may be anchored in these PUBLIC waters.
    No need to go to the wharfinger's office, the information is available at the Port Authority Website. My opinion is sure to follow .

A crow's nest in a Nanaimo Douglas fir tree

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey© View Post
    No need to go to the wharfinger's office, the information is available at the Port Authority Website. My opinion is sure to follow .
    Eek! 16 pages of what looks like gobbledygook, with sections and sub sections and tables. Who writes this stuff?

--
    TH

Default anchoring restrictions

see Page 6 Section 10

http://www.npa.ca/P&Pchanges2008.pdf

In late 2001, False Creek in Vancouver had the same type of problems with boaters leaving or living aboard their boats for extensive periods of time. Some of the problems include " lack of space for transient visitors, difficulties in manoeuvring and navigating, boats dragging anchor and drifting into docks and other vessels, lack of anchor lights, noise, garbage accumulation, direct sewage discharge, unacceptable public behaviour, perceived "free" housing/moorage, and poor condition of some vessels (both aesthetics and sinking hazard). " Anchoring in False Creek

The items above listed in BOLD are part of the reasons for the Port Authority to regulate the length of time and registration of moorage within the harbour area.

The harbour of Nanaimo is used daily by seaplanes, visiting vessels from around the world, ferries and commuters from Protection and Gabriola Islands. We also have resident boaters who pay for their moorage at the Harbour Basin, Newcastle Island and the Nanaimo Yacht Club and other marina's located in Newcastle Channel. The size of the harbour and pathways that need to be cleared for the above passage limits the amount of vessels that can moor there for up to 14 days a month. Some of the vessels that currently moor there for longer periods of time have been there for years and they do not represent all Canadians but a small segment of the live-aboard population of Nanaimo.

Furthermore they have installed gates preventing the passage along the taxpayer funded PUBLIC marina, further restricting our use of the harbour.
    If they have installed gates to prevent passage to docks that do not have ferry access (during ferry times) or to restaurants or ships that sell seafood (during hours of service) they are providing the basics of security to those that pay for moorage. The Port Authority has built a pedestrian pier where the crabbers go and any member of the pubilc, although I am uncertain if it is only open during certain hours.

The actions of the Vancouver Police in enforcing these civic by-laws on ocean waters has more to do with 'the views of the rich' from their million dollar condos on false creek. Several court cases are winding their way through the judicial system as we write. I feel it is a waste of taxpayers money in a shallow attempt to criminalize poverty. Time will tell as there are several charter arguments being put forward. Furthermore, many of the boats impounded were subsequently damaged and the City of Vancouver could end up owing hundreds of thousands of TAXPAYERS money to repair and return these vessels. Moreover, International Maritime Law, which Canada is a signatory to on several treaties, allows for 'safe harbour'.

The excuse of seaplanes and possible collisions by drifting into other vessels is already covered by civil law and the clearly defined aerodome areas of the harbour. To paint every boat in the harbour with the same brush is lugubrious at best and mean spirited at worst. I have owned boats all my life and my experiences from ports all over the world is that the ones with liveaboards are the safest due to the extra eyes these folks offer, at a much more affordable price, then gates that do not function half the time or cameras which are easily visible and thus their capture areas avoided.

The waterfront of Nanaimo is no longer a public place but quickly turning into another gated community. As for the unsightly appearance of some vessels, the simple solution is don't stare at them, cast your glance at the beautiful harbour and out lying areas before they try to charge pay for view. Millions of TAXPAYERS money has been spent on the revitalization of the harbour and its environs for all to enjoy, not just the wealthy. Stop trying to criminalize poverty because, but for the grace of god, buddha, allah or whom ever you worship, go I.
    Last edited by homeless; 01-01-2009 at 07:42 AM.

The actions of the Vancouver Police in enforcing these civic by-laws on ocean waters has more to do with 'the views of the rich' from their million dollar condos on false creek. Several court cases are winding their way through the judicial system as we write. I feel it is a waste of taxpayers money in a shallow attempt to criminalize poverty. Time will tell as there are several charter arguments being put forward. Furthermore, many of the boats impounded were subsequently damaged and the City of Vancouver could end up owing hundreds of thousands of TAXPAYERS money to repair and return these vessels. Moreover, International Maritime Law, which Canada is a signatory to on several treaties, allows for 'safe harbour'.

The excuse of seaplanes and possible collisions by drifting into other vessels is already covered by civil law and the clearly defined aerodome areas of the harbour. To paint every boat in the harbour with the same brush is lugubrious at best and mean spirited at worst. I have owned boats all my life and my experiences from ports all over the world is that the ones with liveaboards are the safest due to the extra eyes these folks offer, at a much more affordable price, then gates that do not function half the time or cameras which are easily visible and thus their capture areas avoided.

The waterfront of Nanaimo is no longer a public place but quickly turning into another gated community. As for the unsightly appearance of some vessels, the simple solution is don't stare at them, cast your glance at the beautiful harbour and out lying areas before they try to charge pay for view. Millions of TAXPAYERS money has been spent on the revitalization of the harbour and its environs for all to enjoy, not just the wealthy. Stop trying to criminalize poverty because, but for the grace of god, buddha, allah or whom ever you worship, go I.
    There will be another court challenge soon for the Port Authority.
    The Port Property is public land managed by them.It is not owned by the Port Authority.Rest assured Homeless that they will threaten to arrest you for being a "public Nuisance" under the CAnada Marine Act. They will state that there have been complaints against you , none of which will be substantiated. I am currently trying to get information from The Port Authority about "complaints "against me. I have to go through the Freedom Of Information Act in order to get the so called complaints.
    They will also threaten to ban you from the waterfront without any reason other than that it is their property.
    This unelected body does whatever they feel like when they feel like it and they get paid huge amounts of money to do so.
    i have been dealing with the Port Authority for many years and I think it is time that the tax payers take the waterfront back!
    PLease read info on the Busking thread about dealings with them.
    Good luck to the live aboards but be careful!

I cannot imagine how the City of Nanaimo and it's citizens would do without the Nanaimo Port Authority and it's predecessor over the last 30 years. Maffeo-Sutton park would not be the way it is, no band shell, no trails, no bridge, no lagoon, no play area. The walkway along the waterfront would not have been protected and every business would be able to do whatever they wanted. Duke Point would never had existed allowing pollution from whatever businesses were located near Harmac to blow towards the city. We would not have had the investments in the City from the Port including the library, theatre, lighthouse, Cameron Island walkway nor their investment in the conference centre. The land where the Port theatre is and Gordon Street would not have been filled in which would have meant that the Coast Bastion would never have been built.

I am a frequent user of many port facilities and enjoy them. I can walk from my house to downtown in the summer all the way along the waterfront, with the exception of the Nanaimo Shipyards property and BC Ferries property.

The Nanaimo Port Authority has (surprise) the authority to regulate the property of the port of Nanaimo. WOW, what a concept. They do regulate it, with the best intentions of the pubic overall. As usual with any types of regulations, there are those that disagree and those that fight them only because they are the Port Authority and not because of the actual intentions of the NPA.

If we get rid of the NPA, perhaps we can get rid of the Nanaimo Airport Commission, the Nanaimo Parks and Recreation and the governments of Nanaimo, British Columbia, and Canada. Imagine if we fired every civil servant in this country and started over again, or not even start over. Let civil disobedience become the norm.

NOPE, not the 2009 that I would like to see.

Queen of the waterfront,
    We need to organize and work towards a year round publicly accessible waterfront. As you seem to know allot about the NPA, perhaps you could enlighten some of us. Are the board members elected or appointed? What is the actual act of law that gives them their powers? How much money do they receive from the City? The Province? The Federal Government?

Smokey,
    You might be comfortable with 3 months of access, not me. Did you know that people who pay year round moorage at the NPA have to vacate their berths several times a year, for NPA ‘s use? What kind of deal is this? I think you are missing one crucial point, All the monies that support the NPA are TAXpayers, not the NPA. From what I can see you seem to enjoy watching people being displaced from their homes/boats.

I think that the users of the harbour, everyone, has a right in a democracy to give input and receive feedback from any agency that affects them directly. Many people I have talked to recently are appalled at the restrictive tendencies at the port and are fed up with the heavy handedness of the NPA. Time to organize and act!

Smokey, You might be comfortable with 3 months of access, not me. Did you know that people who pay year round moorage at the NPA have to vacate their berths several times a year, for NPA ‘s use? What kind of deal is this? I think you are missing one crucial point, All the monies that support the NPA are TAXpayers, not the NPA. From what I can see you seem to enjoy watching people being displaced from their homes/boats.

I think that the users of the harbour, everyone, has a right in a democracy to give input and receive feedback from any agency that affects them directly. Many people I have talked to recently are appalled at the restrictive tendencies at the port and are fed up with the heavy handedness of the NPA. Time to organize and act!
    The area known as the BOAT BASIN is not available for year round moorage. It was made for fishing vessels and visiting vessels from other areas. For year round moorage, there are marinas available and with them getting full, their might be a need for more marinas in the Greater Nanaimo region. The question of course, is where do we place those marinas that will protect their clients vessels?

Monthly and prepaid rates for the Boat Basin are only for up to 6 months and are not available for June 1st to Sept 30th. There are daily rates available year round for space when available. Reservations are only available for the Visiting Vessel Pier off Cameron Island. Courtesy tie-up is available at the boat basin for up to 3 hours, twice a week.

The Nanaimo Port Authority does not get taxpayer funds for their operations, however they have gotten assistance in federal, provincial and municipal funding for development of property.

The Nanaimo Port Authority is the Canada Port Authority (CPA) established to manage the Port of Nanaimo, effective July 1, 1999, under the Canada Marine Act. As a CPA, the Nanaimo Port Authority benefits from greater management flexibility, including increased freedom to develop contracts and borrow money from commercial lenders.

The federal Transport Minister makes appointments to the board of directors of the Nanaimo Port Authority. The Chair gets Salary and Benefits and Allowances of $20,400 while Directors get up to $14,400.

Yes, everyone does have the right to disagree with their proposals and the Nanaimo Port Authority suggest that Members of the public wishing to comment on these proposals may do so in writing by completing the Public Comment Form at the end of this document. Comments should be sent to the Nanaimo Port Authority no later than February 2nd, 2009.

It is not a fact that "I enjoy watching people being displaced from their homes/boats", because I don't believe that the majority of those that would be effected by these proposed changes would be displaced from their homes/boats, but might have to swallow the bitter pill and pay for their moorage wherever it may be just like the thousands of other boaters do within the Nanaimo area.

+ Reply to Thread