+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: West Wood Lake

Default West Wood Lake

The trail around the lake is a great walk as well as run. Depending on the direction, watch out for the hill at the end

Also you can head up Benson from the lake. Not sure what the situation is with the logging right now, in the winter it was quite the task to locate the correct trail to the top. If you leave from Witchcraft lake you start higher but you still run into the logging. Witchcraft way is much steeper too, a good challange.

Here's a picture I took of Westwood Lake, from the lookout atop Westwood Ridge. Date: February 11, 2006.

Yeah, I did Benson in November (with Mr Flibble), and the logging was a huge disappointment. Not only was it dangerous due to trail-concealment and trucks (we could only see about 25 ft due to fog), but of course it's ugly and sad, if you've been climbing the mountain for years. Anyway...

I've never done the Witchcraft Lake trail; I hear there's a downed plane up there.

Question: Up where the logging is most fierce, higher than the point where the Witchcraft trail comes out, I would think, is a huge knoll that is conspicuous from all of Nanaimo. How do you get there? I mean, I know how to get there as the wolf runs, but is there a trail? I'm no wolf. That knoll looks like the coolest damn spot in the city.
    Last edited by riverrat; 02-11-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Oops, this is a Westwood Lake thread. Sorry. Westwood Lake is cool, too, for runners and swimmers and bikers and beachers and geese and walkers. I love the view from that hill you mentioned, Bishop. Didja know you can get to that knoll straight from Calder Road?

Default A challenge!

Has anyone ever crossed the west section of the lake? Y'know, there is an arm of lake that is choked with stumps and fallen trees; you can cross it by hopping from log to log. It would be a little treacherous but very gratifying, I'd think.
    A challenge!

Westwood Lake is one of my favourite spots in Nanaimo, the trail is great for running or walking and everyone there is so friendly! The view is amazing I really like running there because its shady and its nice to run when its nice and cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rockclimber
    I really like running there because its shady and its nice to run when its nice and cool
    Mmm, I can imagine. I guess when they plan their route, runners try to account for the fact that the south run is shady, while the north length is sunny.

It says on the http://www.nanaimoinformation.com/westwood-lake.php page that there have been reports of weirdos in the Westwood Lake area. What's that about?

riverrat has been known to be around the area of Westood Lake... I think he qualifies as a wierdo...
    Daisy, my silly Schnorkie

Har har.

I wonder if I should edit that page - I haven't heard anything in some time. Does anyone know if any of those rumours are confirmed? I'd love to remove the comment, but if it's actually a concern...

But then, everybody knows there's always a danger...it's not like a stupid SIGN is going to save anybody.
    Input, anybody?
    Last edited by riverrat; 09-12-2006 at 10:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread