+ Reply to Thread
Page 191 of 225
FirstFirst ... 91 141 181 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 201 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 2245

Thread: Cool Underground Tunnel and Nanaimo's Old Mine Shafts

Quote Originally Posted by gwyneth View Post
    Hi, Peter:

If I have time whilst back on the Island next week for my monthly leave from the mines, I'll drive by; don't be overly worried if someone in a little rental car stops to take some photos from the road! (Grey-blonde hair, goofy blue wool Finnish cap, sense of humour to go with.)

Cheers,

Gwyneth
    You are more than welcome to visit Gwyneth. I'll still be in Arizona.

Default South Wellington

I recently did a job for a semi-retired couple in the South Wellington area a week or so ago and ended up involved in a half-hour long conversation about coal mining. The residence was located in the Thatcher Road-Kimball Road area of South Wellington beside the golf course and is on the outskirts of the then-South Wellington No.10 Coal Mine. The gentleman was nice enough to photocopy a map of his property which you will find attached to this post. In this map you can see how the land was divided into lots belonging to the coal miners working in the No.10 Coal Mine. You will also see a portion of the ROW that ran from the No.10 eventually ending at Boat Harbor. The map isn't much but it is still interesting to look at.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SWellington..jpg
Views:	106
Size:	802.6 KB
ID:	3614  

Default 1914 Survey?

Quote Originally Posted by GR74 View Post
    I recently did a job for a semi-retired couple in the South Wellington area a week or so ago and ended up involved in a half-hour long conversation about coal mining. The residence was located in the Thatcher Road-Kimball Road area of South Wellington beside the golf course and is on the outskirts of the then-South Wellington No.10 Coal Mine. The gentleman was nice enough to photocopy a map of his property which you will find attached to this post. In this map you can see how the land was divided into lots belonging to the coal miners working in the No.10 Coal Mine. You will also see a portion of the ROW that ran from the No.10 eventually ending at Boat Harbor. The map isn't much but it is still interesting to look at.
    1914 survey if I read that date in the bottom right correctly. Neat! I'm assuming the PCCM railway was already gone by then with the Right of Way still officially in place at the time of the survey as it might still be today.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Roosen View Post
    1914 survey if I read that date in the bottom right correctly. Neat! I'm assuming the PCCM railway was already gone by then with the Right of Way still officially in place at the time of the survey as it might still be today.
    You can still see signs of the PCCM ROW at the end of Kimball Road by the E&N. There is an embankment on either side and the grade ran parallel to Kimball Road. From approximately Thatcher Road it made a left turn through this guy's property, eventually winding its way over to the Morden Mine, across the river and finally to Boat Harbor. You can still see signs of the old grade on the gentleman's property and he says he is still finding the occasional spike here and there. He went on to mention that his 85 year old mother knew about the mines and had stories to tell as did the elderly woman living across the street whose boyfriend used to push her into No.10 in a coal car when they were teenagers. My guess is that both women had fathers who worked in the mines. I would have loved to stay and chat with them but I just didn't have the time. I was able to squeeze in the tale of Caswell's miner's cap, lamp and detonator found hiding inside the walls of the old shack in Extension. Funny how we all have our own stories to tell....

Default Pccm

Another spot to see ROW in south wellington is off Main rd on north side of Kleijn Nurseries. It has been recently cleared off and a new fence put up. If you go on RDN website and look at thier GIS mapping you can follow it all the way to Boat harbour. A good place to dig around for artifacts is along the sides of the grade. Just like todays modern highways, people dropped/littered crap off the train everyday. Anyplace where a tresell or bridge went up is a good spot too, usually the workers set up a camp there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by enos View Post
    Another spot to see ROW in south wellington is off Main rd on north side of Kleijn Nurseries. It has been recently cleared off and a new fence put up. If you go on RDN website and look at thier GIS mapping you can follow it all the way to Boat harbour. A good place to dig around for artifacts is along the sides of the grade. Just like todays modern highways, people dropped/littered crap off the train everyday. Anyplace where a tresell or bridge went up is a good spot too, usually the workers set up a camp there for a while.
    That Boat Harbor hike is a nice one, especially along the shores of Holden Lake on a sunny day!. I'll have to try and squeeze that one in again this year

Default Old Coal-Mining Machinery May Be Responsible For Orange-Tinged Water

Walter Cordery, Daily News
    Published: Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Some interesting reading in our local newspaper, I'll supply a link to the article instead of scanning and posting the article itself.

http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/local/story.html?id=dfb7ad60-ffdc-4442-b2f5-407ee79edb86

Default Neighbourhood Association Wants To Place A Captain's Wheel In Park

Tamara Cunningham, The Daily News
    Published: Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Link to article:
    http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/local/story.html?id=7812da71-4e07-4e1a-ab94-c4a8abbacc1a

Default Piper Park

This is a scan of an undated post card showing Nanaimo's Piper Park. I'm assuming it was available to the public in the late 1960's - early 1970's.

Name:	postcard_1..JPG
Views:	69
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	3643   Click image for larger version

Name:	postcard_2..JPG
Views:	74
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	3644  

Default Saturday, May 30, 1987

I think these articles were published in the Nanaimo Free Press back in 1987. Not entirely sure but that would be my first guess.

Name:	30May1987_1..jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	3645   Click image for larger version

Name:	30May1987_2..jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	3646  

+ Reply to Thread