+ Reply to Thread
Page 133 of 224
FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 143 183 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2240

Thread: Cool Underground Tunnel and Nanaimo's Old Mine Shafts

I was chatting with pal Garry Britt (GBritt) this evening. At the beginning of July we went quadding and I posted some photos in this thread of our adventures through the back hills of Extension. I failed to mention that I had also dropped off a pair of old coal car wheels as I had 3 pair and Garry was looking to build a bench similar to the ones found in Cumberland - the benches are built to look like half of a coal car. He cut the axle about half way and constructed his own bench which can now be seen at his home in Extension.

The following photo shows Garry's finished product and I must say that I am very impressed. He e-mailed me a photo and told me that I could share it with all of you. I will more than likely be dropping off my other coal car wheels so that he can construct another coal car or 2 more benches like the one posted below.

Nice work Garry!

That is a beautiful job. A great representation of Nanaimo.

That bench is just fantastic! And the garden around it is beautiful, too. A lot of hard work has gone into all of it, I think.

Very impressive work Gary,thanks for sharing the photo GR

Default awesome bench

The city of Nanaimo should pick up on this one, or give the builder a contract and build them for the downtown core and parks etc.....

Beautiful work

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    The city of Nanaimo should pick up on this one, or give the builder a contract and build them for the downtown core and parks etc.....

Beautiful work
    I was going to say the same thing Tony. But when you think about how things are getting vandalized and graffitied these days, I would be awfully sad to see something so beautiful destroyed.

I think Garry has a plan to build one of these benches for the new mining park up in Extension. He's done all of the welding and woodwork himself. The hardest thing to come across these days are the wheels. I have 2 more pair with axles and mentioned in a conversation last night that I knew where an additional 2 more pair were aside from the ones that I have at home. It really would be nice to see more of this sort of thing on our street corners or in our parks but it appears that the 'uninterested individuals' are the ones that have the final say and make the ultimate decisions regarding matters such as these.

So I have decided to give my wheels up for projects such as these, either for a couple of benches or another coal car, free of charge as long as they are put to good use.

Those are worthy of a city bench, well done

Hey guys check these bad boys out!!!! (photo 1)

They are here sitting in my livingroom as we speak and will be making their way to Extension this weekend.

I will tell you all whether the decision will be to make another coal car (photo 2) or 2 more benches (photo 3) :P

With the amount of scrap metal theft that happens I'd really be worried about putting artifacts that valuable (at least to some of us) anywhere public where they might be gone pretty quickly. I'd really hate to see that happen.

+ Reply to Thread