+ Reply to Thread
Page 133 of 225
FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 143 183 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2245

Thread: Cool Underground Tunnel and Nanaimo's Old Mine Shafts

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

---------

William Ernest Henley

Quote Originally Posted by gwyneth View Post

That explanation being now offered, the side driveage in the slope is a small water-lodge; a sump, if you will. It was meant to catch near-surface water, and then allow a steam-ejector pump (that rusty tank/pipe device) to throw the water up a discharge pipe to the brow of the slope. The water then ran in an open ditch away from the portal landing.
    So that concrete wall and valve I saw down in that mine the other day was a water-lodge, or sump. Obviously designed specifically for this purpose, it is highly unlikely that there is an adit or tunnel behind this wall.

Thanks for the poem Flugel Horn.

Where in South Wellington?

Anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by GR74 View Post
    Where in South Wellington?
    1920 Scotchtown Road is where this coal car can be found.

There are some drill bits and other artifacts and tools laying around there as well. I found this coal car years ago while mine hunting in South Wellington.

I went to hang out with seaman this past weekend and we avoided the mines altogether as we went salmon fishing instead. During our adventure I accidentally dropped my camera into the drink, so lol. It was only a 200 dollar camera but the loss was a bit disappointing. My sacrafice to the gods did however bring us good luck as we reeled in 4 nice salmon ranging from 15-30 pounds each with seaman reeling in the 30 pounder right away. None of the other boats out on the water were catching anything but we maxed out our limit of 2 fish each for the day. A super fun day at sea regardless, the camera has been replaced (thankfully my keys didn't go in) and the hiking continues on Sunday as I have to do some work for the City of Parksville this Saturday. Seaman brought his own camera as well and I took a great photo of his 30 pound catch, maybe he will post it.

Thanks again, pal.
    Cheers!

Default Thrasher Rock

On the 22nd day of May, 1880, a contract of tonnage was entered into between the plaintiffs and the defendants, the Towing Co., to tow the plaintiff's ship, Thrasher, from Royal Roads to Nanaimo, there to load with coal, and when loaded to tow her back to sea.

After the ship was towed to Nanaimo, the agent of the Towing Company sent the Beaver, belonging to the Towing Company to the captain of the Thrasher, to tow her to Cape Flattery. The Beaver not having sufficient power, the agent supplemented that power by sending another towing steamer, the Etta White, belonging to the Moodyville Saw Mill Co.

The Thrasher's captain, and those on board were strangers to the coast, and had no pilot, having paid the half forfeit required by law, as the tugs knew. The captain of the Beaver had been acting and was then holding a certificate as a licensed pilot in the navigable waters of British Columbia, though at the time and in the contract under consideration he was not acting or receiving remuneration as a pilot,

About seven o'clock on the evening of the 14th July the Thrasher passed her hawser to the Beaver, and the Etta While, leading, passed her hawser to the Beaver. The Thrasher's hawser was made fast to her port-bow and the hawser from the Beaver to the Ella White, was made fast to the starboard bow of the Beaver, these arrangements being made by the tugs. The two tugs and ship being thus attached, the Captain of the Thasher gave orders for the tugs to start.

The weather was calm and clear and a bright sky overhead.

No direction of any kind, except a general one to tow to the point of destination, was given from the tow to the tugs.

A safe course is laid down on the chart and the " Van couver Island Pilot," or Sailing Directions.

Whilst thus in tow, the ship (which was laden with coal and drew some twenty—five feet of water) was dragged on a rock some distance outside of the limits of what was known at the time and laid down on the charts as Gabriola reef, and became a complete wreck.

black gold on the bottom and silver chrome on the top.

After that they named that particular reef Thrasher rock, the wreck slid down the reef to a depth of 200ft, a friend of mine has dove it and says theres a pile of coal down there

Well everybody knows what you look like now seaman. Damn, that fish is as big as you - HUGE!!!

I'm jealous. I have to post another look at my 30 pounder. I'll post new stuff later....

I will be organizing a forum donation-drive, to raise funds to buy Seaman a draw-string that works, or a belt, or suspenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Flugel Horn View Post
    I will be organizing a forum donation-drive, to raise funds to buy Seaman a draw-string that works, or a belt, or suspenders.
    The cheque's in the mail. But you have to admit that is one heck of a fine fish!

I just need some more cheeseburgers there's nothing wrong with the shorts

+ Reply to Thread