+ Reply to Thread
Page 173 of 226
FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 183 223 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 2256

Thread: Cool Underground Tunnel and Nanaimo's Old Mine Shafts

Fantastic photos!
    Mike McKillican

Hi there GR74
    These are excellent pictures. I am new to this site, and am a university student writing on a Cascadia earthquake possibility and how it will affect the old mines in the area. Would you happen to know if there are any pictures that would indicate height of shafts, and or support columns?
    Just curious...thanks

concrete

Hey - you know that movie with the guy that has these super powers and sh*t because of his hair? Then this bitch comes along and cuts off his hair and he grows weak. He turns back into an ordinary guy. You know that movie? Well, I'm better looking than the guy in that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by concrete View Post
    Hi there GR74
    These are excellent pictures. I am new to this site, and am a university student writing on a Cascadia earthquake possibility and how it will affect the old mines in the area. Would you happen to know if there are any pictures that would indicate height of shafts, and or support columns?
    Just curious...thanks

concrete
    I'm in Texas looking at your post. I haven't gone into these Wellington area coal mines like GR74 et al so get most of my information from them, historical accounts, mining reports and, more recently, this forum. Something like 50 to 500 feet for shafts, supports generally in the 3 feet height at the low end for mines like the Wakesiah and two or three times that where the coal seams were greater. I am sure others like Gwyneth can give more detailed information if you need it. There are various pictures throughout this forum that might help you with your project. Not sure how GR74's response relates to your question or how it relates to anything for that matter. Maybe GR74 got hit in the head by a falling rock during a recent mine tour or received a bad haircut from his girlfriend.

5. Default

Hi, Concrete:

First off, my apologies for the slow response, as I have been travelling and am presently in New England (although I shall be back on Vancouver Island next week).

I was working underground at Wolf Mountain Colliery (southern flank of Mount Benson) in the mid-80s and was indeed there the day that we had a small earthquake. Shaking was much more obvious to the people in the mine's surface buildings than to those of us who were underground. I recall seeing some small pieces of scabby, loose, rock coming down from the roof of the main conveyor roadway (near the location shown in this picture, which I took a year or so later: http://www.westwatermining.com/library/wolfcabl.jpg ) but to be honest there was very little impact on the mine-workings.

A big Cascadia earthquake, comparable to the January 1700 great earthquake, might damage workings that were already in a weakened state owing to weathering, or to degradation of their support systems. Conceivably, poorly-maintained shaft-cappings could fail.

Coincidentally, I am working on a small project in engineering geology as concerns one of the old Vancouver Island mines, where one of my concerns is the state of sealing of the workings. I had not thought straight-away of earthquakes, but of course they should be a consideration and I do thank you for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by concrete View Post
    Hi there GR74
    Just curious...thanks

concrete

Default Sold!

I scored big today!!! This story will blow your mine(d)!

I've just purchased a vintage Nanaimo coal miner's cap and carbide lamp from Curiosity Cove Antiques on Nicol Street. The cap and lamp were found alongside a detonator, the three hiding inside one of the interior walls of an original miner's shack in Extension village. The current homeowner made the discovery while doing some renovations earlier this year. Obviously they'd been in there for many years but it is unknown exactly when the artifacts were placed there. A note or letter would have been interesting to find, imagine what it would say....

The artifacts belonged to Extension coal miner G. Caswell, an Explosives Technician (ET) circa 1918-1930. The detonator has found its way into the hands of local historian T.W. (Tom) Paterson, a popular name in our local newspapers (remember the 'Looking Back' column?). The cap and miners lamp are now property of forum member and enthusiast GR74. Hopefully these items will be reunited again and part of the same collection in the future. Price tag on the cap and carbide lamp in 2011: $150; the detonator went for $200.

The Irony: GBritt (Garry Britt) had already told me the story about the artifacts a couple of months ago when I visited him to return some maps (he has the inside scoop on everything, you know). Although he had heard about the find from the homeowner living close by, he didn't have an opportunity to grab the items because they had already been handed over to an unknown source. The unknown source just happened to be the owner of Curiosity Cove Antiques, which is where I obtained the items from today (thanks again, Darrell).

GBritt! I have the hat, will bring it by during my next visit! Break out the calcium carbide!!!
    Last edited by GR74; 05-13-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Very cool. Good for you GR74. I wonder which home that came out of? Close Gary Britts place you say. I wish to heck I had had the brains to keep all the old stuff we used to find up there when we were kids.
    Coming to you "LIVE AND IN COLOUR",from the BIG MOO!!;)

Awesome find! I would kill to find something like that in a hiding spot like that. I wonder if someone really stashed those away with thoughts of their being found in a future age, and wondering if they would have any value.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Very cool. Good for you GR74. I wonder which home that came out of? Close Gary Britts place you say. I wish to heck I had had the brains to keep all the old stuff we used to find up there when we were kids.
    Not sure about the address but I will find out. The miner's cabin was original and built by Caswell himself. I'm thinking the place is right next door to Garry's. We were standing outside in the sunshine talking about a future trip to one of the mines to collect fossils and I think he pointed the house out next door. I will ask a little bit later on.

My vintage 10 year old Toshiba laptop crashed about 2 1/2 months ago. I'm a bit slow at getting a new one, looking for sales, the right model, etc. I don't use one for work but desperately need a place to store photos from the memory card in my digital camera. I finally got my butt in gear and purchased a lime green Sony laptop from Staples today, should have it set up shortly so that I can be online more frequently.
    Last edited by GR74; 05-13-2011 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    Awesome find! I would kill to find something like that in a hiding spot like that. I wonder if someone really stashed those away with thoughts of their being found in a future age, and wondering if they would have any value.
    Thanks, riverrat. I wonder that myself. I think the guy put them there on purpose, wondering who would find them and when. Kinda like a time capsule. I'd love to get my hands on that detonator! Regardless, I'm happy to see that the artifacts ended up in the right hands and will be properly cared for before being passed on to the next collector.

+ Reply to Thread