+ Reply to Thread
Page 173 of 225
FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 183 223 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 2241

Thread: Cool Underground Tunnel and Nanaimo's Old Mine Shafts

GR74 - The map on page 18 of Robert D Turner's Vancouver Island Railroads shows a "Western Fuel Co." line connecting with the E&N mainline at Stockett. There is also a Western Fuel spur shown which roughly parallels the east side of the E&N from just north of mile post 70.5 to just south of mile post 70. This WFCo line brought coal from the Harewood and Wakesiah mines according to the map. I thought the rail you were talking about might be the remnants of this old WFCo spur.

Welcome, km111 !
    I look forward to hearing about your finds, too. I'm not sure you'll get a very straightforward answer to your question, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Roosen View Post
    3.To the left, of interest to me would be the ruins of the major waterfront colliery operations left standing until sometime in the 1950s and to the right would be the Millstone River mouth gas plant and sawmill that I hear were both still standing in the 1950s.
    4. Fantastic work you do with finding, tweaking and interpreting these images to make them come to life!
    3. OK, the left and right... got it! I will post the photos under the Aerial Photo thread to keep them together. Keep us posted if you can identify the gas plant and sawmill!
    4. Thanks for the comment.

Well I'm really glad that the outcome of this thread is "hey, what mine should I explore first". I should have seen this coming, I don't know why I even bothered. Thanks guys, I 'm finished here.

Quote Originally Posted by GR74 View Post
    Well I'm really glad that the outcome of this thread is "hey, what mine should I explore first". I should have seen this coming, I don't know why I even bothered. Thanks guys, I 'm finished here.
    This is getting really strange, again!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
    This is getting really strange, again!
    Again, you say! Oh, dear.
    Anyway, there seemed to be some interest in those evaporating photos and the Western Fuel Company. I am pretty sure the abandoned rails in the photos are an unused siding at Stockett. The rails and ties are too new to be remnants from Western Fuel. Here is a map to turn the clock back a bit! It indicates that the Western Fuel Railway heading to the Harewood and Douglas mines passed underneath the E&N.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ChaseRiver..jpg
Views:	137
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	3384  
    Last edited by Steamer_1949; 06-23-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Roosen View Post
    I was looking for the aerial tramline that serviced the Harewood Mines but don't see it. I have heard it was still erect in the 1950s. Where did it come through town to reach the wharves?
    This photo shows Protection Island in the distance. Keeping in mind that the tramline went down Albert Street, perhaps you can estimate the point of intersection with the beach. It would be interesting to know how and where it unloaded those buckets at the wharves.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AerialTram..jpg
Views:	86
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	3385  

Quote Originally Posted by GR74 View Post
    I did not want to offend anyone. I think this thread is great!!!!! We are interested in the history of mining in Nanaimo and have talked about exploring a couple years ago, but with young children it held us back. Like I said before, I did not mean to offend anyone, just looking for some help.

Default Mine end of tramline

This seems to be at the highest point of the tramline.
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by km111 View Post
    I did not want to offend anyone. I think this thread is great!!!!! We are interested in the history of mining in Nanaimo and have talked about exploring a couple years ago, but with young children it held us back. Like I said before, I did not mean to offend anyone, just looking for some help.
    You might start by following the tramline from the waterfront near the foot of Albert Street up to the Harewood Mine. About 5 miles?

+ Reply to Thread