+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Nanaimo Area Historical Photos

Default Nanaimo Area Historical Photos

This thread can be for anything that relates to Nanaimo's long and interesting past.

I figure it's appropriate to begin the story with these pictures of petroglyphs, which are tucked away unceremoniously on Extension Ridge. Sorry about the quality; maybe one day someone'll submit some better ones and I'll replace these.
    By the way, anyone who is interested in petroglyphs should make sure they check out Petroglyph Park, which is less than a five minute's drive south of downtown. It's shameful how the place has been "preserved" (ie, not), but the 'glyphs are pretty awesome, especially if you can try to imagine the place as it was.

Nanaimo Petroglyph

Petroglyphs

Extension Ridge Petroglyphs
    Last edited by riverrat; 02-24-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Woah, those are pretty amazing.. I have never seen petroglyphs before.... I think this calls for a trip!

There are lots of petroglyphs around here eh. I know there is a petroglyph park on the way out of nanaimo towards ladysmith, and I have been to the gabriola petroglyphs, behind the ...uhh...ummm....white church ....hahaha...i cant remember what church it is, but its on south road (i think) when driving towards silva bay......oh and they have petroglyphs at the museum here by harbour park mall, but are those real or examples? From what i have heard you arent allowed to move petroglyphs from where you find them...We have a fake petroglyph (atleast we think its fake) at my mums house. They guy she bought the house from said it was real but mum doesnt believe him, but either way, it looks cool in mums garden It looks almost real..very worn looking. Oh...and they have them at gabriola museum too, but i think they are fake too....hahahahahaha....

DUDE!!!!! Can you guve a brief direction on how to find those!!! Or maybe even some coordinates?
    If you try to fail, and you succeed, which have you done?.

Default Directions to petroglyphs

It seems so weird how these are just left alone somewhere, without ceremony or marking. I see them as so precious. I think German tourists would go apesh*t over them.
    Last edited by riverrat; 10-08-2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: removed directions

I guess pictures of the oldest churches and schools would be welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Zelley10
    I guess pictures of the oldest churches and schools would be welcome
    Oh yes, Zelley10, they would indeed. Any commentary would also be most welcome. I think if every one of these posts just has a bunch of pictures, the pages'll take forever to load - so everyone, keep talkin'!

It is gone due to fire, but the old China Town was neat, like an old wild west town

Petro Park.. Taken by friend Lisa M Spring 06.
    Attached Images  

Cool! Creepy even.

+ Reply to Thread