+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Recent and upcoming changes downtown

Coffee at the Vault, Mon Petit Choux and Perkins all within 2+ blocks. The Vault and Perkins are pretty much primarily coffee shops.

On to another note!! North Town Centre is under big reno's where the old Zeller's used to be. Apparently Urban Planet is putting in a large store of 18,000 square feet. Now this will bring in the teens to the Mall. Now where is the food court>??

Quote Originally Posted by All Ages Music Concerts View Post
    On to another note!! North Town Centre is under big reno's where the old Zeller's used to be. Apparently Urban Planet is putting in a large store of 18,000 square feet. Now this will bring in the teens to the Mall. Now where is the food court>??
    And this is going to revitalize downtown? Nanaimo is like a many headed creature going in all sorts of directions.

Quote Originally Posted by queen of the waterfront View Post
    And this is going to revitalize downtown? Nanaimo is like a many headed creature going in all sorts of directions.
    Which brings up a very important point:

Over the last five years how many strip malls have been built and how many new stores have opened in these new malls, all the while we spend millions of dollars revitalizing downtown (ya, I heard you DNPS supporters - it's an ongoing process!)?

Hey Rick cant you pull a coup? I am so aggravated already and the DNPS has only been in power again for a week.
    I am going to Victoria Monday . Maybe I will get a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Which brings up a very important point:

Over the last five years how many strip malls have been built and how many new stores have opened in these new malls, all the while we spend millions of dollars revitalizing downtown (ya, I heard you DNPS supporters - it's an ongoing process!)?
    Actually it will be a financial failure as the development at Cable Bay & the other at the Sandstone "project" will bleed it dry!!
    Apparently City staff have decided that everyone in Nanaimo should have their own shopping mall or at least a franchise store of foreign ownership.
    I really don't have a problem with this as the Nanaimo taxpayer can divvy up a few more $ millions to subsidise yet another revitalise down town project.
    Sustainability; really is not an issue , urban sprawl! no way !! Not until you have to pay for it!!

Yes, Nanaimo is a creature with many heads and arms in all directions. I live very close to this mall, North Town Centre and have seen many stores open and close. So many empty spaces available in this mall. Why,, because rents are so high and the mall managers are money grabs. So they prefer empty spots to full capacity. They get their cut on sales also, so it does not make sense to make it an unreal change for a business to start up. Money does not always talk.

Say NO to Cable Bay. Say NO to Sandstone , say YES to a vibrant downtown that people want to visit & enjoy.
    There can be only one Nanaimo , there can only be ONE downtown.

Downtown Nanaimo has a long ways to go,,,OMG, the Malaspina Hotel is one example. I have lost the number of years that this place has taken to get built and re-opened. What in name of *** is this all about. It is a hide up of politics for whatever reasons. Lets hope the rest of it does not go on as long.!!,,,<

Ps.. lets not use bankruptcy as an excuse for this project!!

Believe it or not, shopping mall owners actually make more money by having some spaces available for rent.

Say YES to Cable Bay, Say YES to Sandstone, say YES to a vibrant downtown. We can have it all and enjoy it. I have lived here for almost 40 years and love the entire City all the way from Joans Point to Woodgrove Mall, from Neck Point to Westwood Lake and the Harewood Plain. Heck, I even like Cedar, but need to explore a few more trails out yonder.

+ Reply to Thread