+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Recent and upcoming changes downtown

How do they lose money on empty spaces. Capital loses?!!

Quote Originally Posted by All Ages Music Concerts View Post
    How do they MAKE money on empty spaces. Capital loses?!!
    You got it

omg,, this thread is making me smarter,,lol

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey© View Post
    Believe it or not, shopping mall owners actually make more money by having some spaces available for rent.

Say YES to Cable Bay, Say YES to Sandstone, say YES to a vibrant downtown. We can have it all and enjoy it. I have lived here for almost 40 years and love the entire City all the way from Joans Point to Woodgrove Mall, from Neck Point to Westwood Lake and the Harewood Plain. Heck, I even like Cedar, but need to explore a few more trails out yonder.
    Yeah, it has struck me as odd that people want to shut down some projects while opening others. I figure that Downtown and these new things are totally different; I go to a mall for mass produced goods at lower prices if that's what I want; I go to Downtown for culture and a relaxed time by the water. This is a big place, why do we have to say no to new developments? It's a long way off before it even begins to resemble Vancouver, (which seems to be the anathema to relaxed island life for some reason).

Default outdoor cafe

I've heard part of the Diana Krall Plaza development, that they will be putting in an outdoor cafe owned by the city. They won't be selling anything, just putting out the chairs, tables, and umbrellas for the public's use. I don't know who will tend the space or how that all works, but I think it's brilliant.
    I usually like to bring my own tea in my thermos, but I would probably buy food and eat it there.
    It could be such a great place, as it's pretty dull right now.

Sounds nice but it is quite hot in that plaza in the summer. I was thinking of parking my derriere in some shadier more sheltered spot to watch the comings and goings of the downtown faces.

I was at North Town Centre last time I was in Nanaimo. I noticed there are many changes being made. I didn't know Zellers is going, but I did hear about the food court and Urban Planet. Don't know where the food court is going, but they do need one there.

I like coffee. I've really warmed up to Serious Coffee. Coffee shops do bring people around too, such as the ones near UVIC with students working on their schoolwork.

We have become take out coffee drinkers for sure. i put on a pot at work and in walks all the staff with Tim Horten"s cups. There is the vault and another place up Fitzwilliam, all not far from the Tim Hortons on Comox is it? and now another one in the Harewood mall, Starbucks is it? Good heavens I am afraid of what is in those cups that has people so addicted. I love my coffee but I want to be O.K. with the good old home pot not the take out. I am already addicted to Mcdees but there is nothing near me like that. Ahhh what I would do for a big mac and fries etc. Hope dinner is ready soon!

Zeller's isn't going anywhere. I think what was said was the old Zeller's location.

What gets me is the 20 car lineups at Tim Hortons drive thru. I've seen lineups that long on Bowen, Comox &Wallace, and South Park. What a bunch of lazy (*)^&0900

+ Reply to Thread