+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Old Clubs in Nanaimo

Default Old Clubs in Nanaimo

So i am sitting here remembering when i went to Malaspina College in 1980/81 and me and my buddies use to go to 'Tivoli's', 'Sebastions' and 'Shuffles' to party back in the day!...I believe 'Tivoli's' was up in behind where A&B sound was and i think 'Sebastions' was in the old church up the road from there???...'Shuffles' i believe was in the basement of the Malaspina Hotel??...anyone remember these places...I was living in Campbell River at the time so please feel free to correct my memory if i have any of these places wrong...I am almost 50!..LOL.....not sure if i have 'Tivoli's spelled correctly?..I think it was still a Disco back then?.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marsfan View Post
    So i am sitting here remembering when i went to Malaspina College in 1980/81 and me and my buddies use to go to 'Tivoli's', 'Sebastions' and 'Shuffles' to party back in the day!...I believe 'Tivoli's' was up in behind where A&B sound was and i think 'Sebastions' was in the old church up the road from there???...'Shuffles' i believe was in the basement of the Malaspina Hotel??...anyone remember these places...I was living in Campbell River at the time so please feel free to correct my memory if i have any of these places wrong...I am almost 50!..LOL.....not sure if i have 'Tivoli's spelled correctly?..I think it was still a Disco back then?.....
    Tivoli's was on Cavan Street where James St. Billards is now. The front enterance of the billard place was the emergency exit for Tivoli's and the emergency exit for the billard place was the main enterance for Tivoli. Tivoli spelled backwards is I Lov It. Tivoli was indeed a Disco Bar. It went on to become ' Mr. B's '

Sebastions was indeed in the old church on Victoria Road which became 'Shuffles' then 'Whitchita North' and is now home to 'Nanaimo Centre Stage '

Shuffles Cabaret was in the Ballroom of the Villa Hotel which is now the Dorchester Hotel.

I think that there used to be a chinese restaurant in the Tivoli's location, called "Cathay Gardens", in the 1970's.

Right by my place there is a vacant lot on the corner of Wakesiah and Harewood rd. and I've heard tale that it used to be a dance hall/bar .

Long time Nanaimoite Gordie told me it was called the Wander Inn.

Does anyone have any stories or info to share about it.

I'd love to see a photo.

Default Two real oldies . . .

that were long gone when I arrived in Nanaimo, but I was told about them by oldtimers, were a dance hall on either Newcastle or Protection (think it was Newcastle, may be wrong) and another dance hall somewhere downtown, which I think was called the Pixie Ballroom. That's going waaay back.

Quote Originally Posted by Nostradama View Post
    that were long gone when I arrived in Nanaimo, but I was told about them by oldtimers, were a dance hall on either Newcastle or Protection (think it was Newcastle, may be wrong) and another dance hall somewhere downtown, which I think was called the Pixie Ballroom. That's going waaay back.
    In 1931 the Canadian Pacific Steamship Company purchased Newcastle Island and operated it as a pleasure resort, building a dance pavilion - restored now as the visitor centre and hall - a teahouse, picnic areas, change houses, a soccer field and a wading pool. An old ship was tied to the dock at Mark Bay and served as a floating hotel. The island became very popular for company picnics and Sunday outings, with ships from Vancouver bringing as many as 1,500 people at a time. The advent of the Second World War, however, caused a decrease in the number of ships available for pleasure excursions and Newcastle Island suffered a consequent decline in popularity.

In Nanaimo's dance band heyday there were 5 dance halls: The Newcastle Pavilion, Pleasant Valley Hall, The Turkey Gulch, The Wellington Hall, and the Pygmy dance hall (became home of Fiesta Lanes 99 Chapel Street). Al Campbell's Essay for Music has more great information. I worked with Al in the 70's and just yesterday saw him out touring in his unique roadster.

Quote Originally Posted by Flugel Horn View Post
    I think that there used to be a chinese restaurant in the Tivoli's location, called "Cathay Gardens", in the 1970's.
    You are absolutely correct. It is now a pool hall which it was after Cathay Gardens and before Tivoli's.

Originally in 1970 the only Pool Hall in Nanaimo was located on the corner of Bastion and Front Streets where the parking lot opposite the Coast Bastion is. It moved to the building north of the Daily Free Press building, next door south of the Fiesta Lanes Bowling Alley. California Joke and Books opened an arcade/adult store on Commercial Street and the City in their wisdom came out with a City Bylaw prohibiting Pool Halls or Arcades on the ground floor of any building in the downtown core. The Pool Hall next to the Daily Free Press moved outside the downtown area to open near Harewood and 4th (now Soul Sister).

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey© View Post
    In 1931 the Canadian Pacific Steamship Company purchased Newcastle Island and operated it as a pleasure resort, building a dance pavilion - restored now as the visitor centre and hall - a teahouse, picnic areas, change houses, a soccer field and a wading pool. An old ship was tied to the dock at Mark Bay and served as a floating hotel. The island became very popular for company picnics and Sunday outings, with ships from Vancouver bringing as many as 1,500 people at a time. The advent of the Second World War, however, caused a decrease in the number of ships available for pleasure excursions and Newcastle Island suffered a consequent decline in popularity.

In Nanaimo's dance band heyday there were 5 dance halls: The Newcastle Pavilion, Pleasant Valley Hall, The Turkey Gulch, The Wellington Hall, and the Pygmy dance hall (became home of Fiesta Lanes 99 Chapel Street). Al Campbell's Essay for Music has more great information. I worked with Al in the 70's and just yesterday saw him out touring in his unique roadster.
    Thanks for the information, Smokey. Well, I wasn't too far off with "Pixie" instead of "Pygmy." I tried. I remember oldtimers talking about the days of the two places, Newcastle and the Pygmy. One couple I knew met there and married. Probably a fair number of Nanaimo folks did.

My parents refered to it as the Wander Inn-Stagger Out. It was built as a coffee shop/restaurant(not lisenced) but it got very drunk out in there most nights. Built about 1940. It catered to the many stationed at the military camp around then. I believe it burned down in the mid seventies after being vacant for many years. I can remember back to the early 60's and I cannot recall it being open in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey© View Post
    Thanks for the Al Campbell link. He's a trumpet legend in this town, and I was lucky enough to play with him for a few years in a big-band.

His wife wrote a good history-book on the Nanaimo Concert Band. But I digress..... I think that a neat thing on Al Campbell's resume is that he played at the Pygmy hall, and is still playing today. What a career!

+ Reply to Thread