+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Which Nanaimo Neighbourhoods are BAD areas to buy a family home?

Default Which Nanaimo Neighbourhoods are BAD areas to buy a family home?

Which Nanaimo neighbourhoods are BAD areas to buy a family home? Thanks to anyone who replies to this thread.

I'm not from Nanaimo and would like to avoid buying a home in areas that are known to be unsafe areas to raise a young family.

~Blue Lotus~
    Last edited by Blue_Lotus; 09-01-2009 at 11:54 AM.

Oops! .... Just realized I have this topic in wrong section.

Since I have this thread open, I'll make a quick introduction. Just joined today September 1st to Nanaimo Information Forums. My family and I reside in British Columbia but have plans to move from where we live now to Nanaimo. We have some family already living there on the Island. My husband was born and raised in Nanaimo but left in his teen years when his parents decided to move away. He's looking forward to moving back to his hometown. For me, I've never visited Vancouver Island yet, but looking forward to seeing it sometime soon. I've looked at pictures from other members ... WOW! BEAUTIFUL PLACE THE ISLAND IS!

~Blue Lotus~

3. Default

You might try using the search option to check out some of the threads posted over the years about various Nanaimo areas. There are varying opinions of all our neighborhoods =)
    The island is beautiful! Hopefully you will have a chance to drive around our city so you can get a feel for the areas and see for yourself what attracts you.
    If you like super suburban and big box stores you may be drawn to the north end of the city, if you prefer more artsy, heritage style homes and shops you may be drawn to the south end of the city.

I don't believe we have any "bad" neighborhoods - but that being said in our downtown area we do have homeless people and there are people who are addicted to drugs (same as any downtown) and I know that some families with young children find that unsettling.

You might also find it helpful to talk to a realtor - there are several on this board =)
    Good luck!

As Jingles said, there are not any REAL BAD areas in Nanaimo. Yes, we have areas that are known for the issues and there are areas where the problems are there but are hidden more.

Where are you moving from? Are you living in a rental and looking for another or are you living in a home and plan on buying another one, or are you interested in buying your first home?

How old are your kids? Are they in any special programs at school such as french immersion or other programs? What price range are you looking for?
    There is only one area in Nanaimo I would not want to live and I am sure that most people here would love to live there. I don't want to live on top of a mountain.

I love central-north Nanaimo. The Uplands area is very popular due the elementary and secondary school that is within close range of each other. Accessable to shopping, Beban Park and Long Lake that is very popular for swimming. This area is very family oriented and I think is a great area to raise a family.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey© View Post
    As Jingles said, there are not any REAL BAD areas in Nanaimo. Yes, we have areas that are known for the issues and there are areas where the problems are there but are hidden more.

Where are you moving from? Are you living in a rental and looking for another or are you living in a home and plan on buying another one, or are you interested in buying your first home?

How old are your kids? Are they in any special programs at school such as french immersion or other programs? What price range are you looking for?
    There is only one area in Nanaimo I would not want to live and I am sure that most people here would love to live there. I don't want to live on top of a mountain.

Hello Smokey, thank you for your reply.

Presently we live in a house out in the country set on 5 acres. We want to buy another house but located closer to town with a smaller yard. We have 3 pets so would like a fenced yard and a place with lots of room for storage. My daughter is a teenager and my son is 10 years old but both aren't in french immersion. My daughter takes music lessons and my son is interested in somekind of martial arts. If you know of any good martial clubs or music schools in town I would love to hear about them. The price range were looking at is anywhere from 240,000 -310,000 for a 3 or more bedroom house with garage and fenced back yard. Walking distance to Elementary and High Shcool would be nice. We would like to live in the Central/North area of Nanaimo ... I heard it's very nice there from my husband's brother and his wife and from other people on this forum.

I've been reading on forums that Rosehill, Harewood and places closer to the College and around the Hospital aren't good places to live with a young family. But everywhere else is fine.

Thanks again for your help and reply, very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingles View Post
    You might try using the search option to check out some of the threads posted over the years about various Nanaimo areas. There are varying opinions of all our neighborhoods =)
    The island is beautiful! Hopefully you will have a chance to drive around our city so you can get a feel for the areas and see for yourself what attracts you.
    If you like super suburban and big box stores you may be drawn to the north end of the city, if you prefer more artsy, heritage style homes and shops you may be drawn to the south end of the city.

I don't believe we have any "bad" neighborhoods - but that being said in our downtown area we do have homeless people and there are people who are addicted to drugs (same as any downtown) and I know that some families with young children find that unsettling.

You might also find it helpful to talk to a realtor - there are several on this board =)
    Good luck!

Hello Jingles, thank you for your reply.

I searched some the old threads and that's were I found Harewood, Rosehill, around the College and areas around the Hospital to stay away from buying a house with kids. They say they are unsafe areas for kids.

Thank you very much for your help and I sure will be checking out Nanaimo natural beauty when we come down South. We have a realtor in mind, so we'll be asking lots of questions to find the perfect house for our family and pets.

Thank you again for your help and reply, very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Lotus View Post
    Walking distance to Elementary and High Shcool would be nice. We would like to live in the Central/North area of Nanaimo.

I've been reading on forums that Rosehill, Harewood and places closer to the College and around the Hospital aren't good places to live with a young family. But everywhere else is fine.
    You are correct that PARTS of Rosehill, Harewood, bits of the College (it is now a University), and some PARTS of the Hospital area may not be the best places to live. So are PARTS of other areas. I think what you are looking for can be found around the Diver's Lake area or better yet the Country Club area. If you go to this map, those areas are referenced as Diver Lake and the western edge of Departure Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by All Ages Music Concerts View Post
    I love central-north Nanaimo. The Uplands area is very popular due the elementary and secondary school that is within close range of each other. Accessable to shopping, Beban Park and Long Lake that is very popular for swimming. This area is very family oriented and I think is a great area to raise a family.

Hello All Ages Music Concerts, thank you for your reply.

Thank you for all the great information on what areas are great to raise a family. I sure will be checking out those areas you've suggested. I also heard by others that Central-North Nanaimo is a nice place to be. I also heard of Cinnabar Valley ( nor sure if I spelt that correctly) and Pleasant Valley to be nice places too.

Thank you again for your help and reply, very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Lotus View Post
    I also heard of Cinnabar Valley ( nor sure if I spelt that correctly) and Pleasant Valley to be nice places too.
    Here is a map of the general Central(North) Nanaimo. Cinnabar is a bit out in the country and does not have reasonable bus service although it is supposed to get better. It is very far from the malls or shopping and high schools are distant. Pleasant Valley is nice but again, far from high schools although it can be in the central area for the malls which the kids probably like better then school
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread