+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Jerry Berry Resigns

CITY MANAGER information from the City of Vancouver. The same would most likely apply to any other city in British Columbia.
    To plan, direct, manage and review the activities and operations of the City; to coordinate City services and activities among City departments and with outside agencies; and to provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the City Council.

To perform all of the assigned duties in accordance with the City of Vancouver’s Operating Principles; to develop and maintain collaborative and respectful working relationships with team members and others; and to consistently provide quality service to the citizens of Vancouver.

SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
    Receives policy direction from the City Council.
    Exercises direct supervision over management, professional and clerical staff.

ESSENTIAL AND OTHER FUNCTION STATEMENTS--Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:

Examples of Essential Functions: Perform all duties in accordance with the City of Vancouver’s Operating Principles.
    Work and act as a team player in all interactions with other city employees.
    Provide a high level of customer service at all times; project and maintain a positive image on behalf of the City of Vancouver with those contacted in the course of work.
    Assume full management responsibility for all City services and activities including community resources and public information, community preservation and development, public works, parks and recreation, police, fire, finance and administration and human resources; administer policies and procedures.
    Direct and manage the development and implementation of City goals, objectives policies, and priorities for each service area; establish appropriate service and staffing levels; allocate resources accordingly.
    Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of City service delivery methods and procedures; assess and monitor work load, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement; direct the implementation of changes.

Examples of Essential Functions:
    Represent the City to elected officials and outside agencies; explain and justify City programs, policies, and activities; negotiate and resolve sensitive, significant and controversial issues.
    Plan, direct and manage the City's work plan; meet with management staff to identify and resolve problems; assign projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; review and evaluate program goals and objectives.
    Provide highly responsible administrative staff assistance to the City Council; direct specific and comprehensive analyses of a wide range of municipal policies.
    Coordinate activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; prepare and present staff reports and other related correspondence.

Examples of Other Functions:
    Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the City budget; direct the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; approve expenditures; implement midyear adjustments.
    Negotiate contracts and solutions on a variety of administrative, fiscal and special projects; analyze and prepare recommendations on special contract requests; monitor appropriate contract budgets.
    Select, train, motivate and evaluate City personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
    Participate on a variety of boards and commissions; attend and participate in professional groups and committees.
    Administer municipal programs and services; plan, organize and direct activities which support the goals and objectives of the City; establish and implement administrative and operating policies and procedures.
    Respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
    Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.

QUALIFICATIONS
    Knowledge of: Modern and highly complex principles and practices of municipal administration and organization.
    Current social, political and economic trends and operating problems of municipal government.
    Organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies and operational needs.
    Principles and practices of municipal government budget preparation and administration.
    Principles of personnel management including supervision, training and performance evaluation.
    Research and reporting methods, techniques and procedures.
    Sources of information related to a broad range of municipal programs, services and administration.
    Pertinent Federal, Provincial and local laws, codes and regulations.

Ability to: Provide effective leadership and coordinate the activities of a municipal organization.
    Effectively administer a variety of City-wide programs and administrative activities.
    Identify and respond to public and City Council issues and concerns.
    Interpret and apply Federal, Provincial and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
    Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
    Effectively and fairly negotiate appropriate solutions and contracts.
    Gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.

Ability to: Select, supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
    Prepare and administer a large municipal budget; allocate limited resources in a cost effective manner.
    Evaluate and develop improvements in operations, procedures, policies, or methods.
    Prepare clear and concise reports and develop appropriate recommendations.
    Work effectively with others to achieve personal, team, department and Citywide goals.
    Demonstrate respect and cooperation in all interactions; support and reinforce team decisions.
    Anticipate customer needs and give high priority to customer service and satisfaction.
    Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
    Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including city and other government officials, community groups, the general public and media representatives.

Experience and Training Guidelines
    Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
    Experience: Eight years of increasingly responsible managerial and administrative experience in a municipal government.
    Training: Equivalent to a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration, public administration or a related field. A Master's degree is highly desirable.

WORKING CONDITIONS
    Office environment; sustained posture in a seated position
    Last edited by Smokey©; 09-28-2009 at 08:30 AM.

So this is a copy and paste of a job description with the City of Nanaimo. Are you sure they would like you doing this Smokey?

Is it a valide job with the city?

Quote Originally Posted by All Ages Music Concerts View Post
    So this is a copy and paste of a job description with the City of Nanaimo. Are you sure they would like you doing this Smokey?
    Anything that is printed or posted anywhere on any web site by any Canadian government (which includes Federal, Provincial, Regional or Municipal) party is not protected by copyright because we own it ourselves.

Government logos however cannot be used in any manner that infers that the user is associated with a government department unless they are and have department permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey© View Post
    Anything that is printed or posted anywhere on any web site by any Canadian government (which includes Federal, Provincial, Regional or Municipal) is not protected by copyright because we own it ourselves.
    Even though that is the case, why did you feel you had to post the job description. Is it an up to date version? What is your purpose in posting it. It is very generic and standard.

On another note, most job descriptions for lower job levels covers a wide area in its detail of job requirements but never pertains to the job in itself. Job decriptions only covers the higher requirement or addtioned responsibilities if required. They are written in broad form and are there to protect the employer.

Quote Originally Posted by All Ages Music Concerts View Post
    Even though that is the case, why did you feel you had to post the job description. Is it an up to date version? What is your purpose in posting it. It is very generic and standard.

In an ealier post someone, maybe even myself , asked if anyone really knew what a city manager was supposed to do and most people do not know what they do. They are not like a CEO nor a President or Manager of any private or public company although some think they are. I posted what their job descriiption is to show that basically they are to do the bidding of council.

Anyone who believes that Jerry Berry resigned is living in a fantasy land - people are not paid out for resigning, or retiring. We, the taxpayers, are going to pay dearly for his departure; but in my opinion, it is well worth it!! Good for you John Ruttan and councillors - I'll vote for you again!! To all who support him and sing his praises - bully for you - you obviously had a different relationship with him than most City Hall staff...

Quote Originally Posted by citychick View Post
    Anyone who believes that Jerry Berry resigned is living in a fantasy land - people are not paid out for resigning, or retiring. We, the taxpayers, are going to pay dearly for his departure; but in my opinion, it is well worth it!! Good for you John Ruttan and councillors - I'll vote for you again!! To all who support him and sing his praises - bully for you - you obviously had a different relationship with him than most City Hall staff...
    Well he did the job the 30 years and I beg to differ with anyone that can say the same. Obviously he was compatin in what he did. Personally I wonder how many of us could have done better. It is easy to say what is negative then a positive. I hope after all the years of his work, his does not see this thread. For those that are high in the boot , go for it. See if you can do the job!!
    Last edited by All Ages Music Concerts; 09-29-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Seems that you have gone through a lot of trouble just to justify what a couple of people have already said said about the city administrator's duties.
    So Mr Berry had a lot of duties and responsibilities that he was well paid to do, that doesn't mean that he was serving the people of Nanaimo out of the goodness of his heart, as you suggested earlier in this thread. It just means that he was doing a job that he was paid very well to do.
    He may have been around for a long time, that doesn't mean that all people in this city think that he did a good job. I think that he did everything in his power to control the outcome of councils decisions in a way that he believed was best, not necessarily for the citizens of Nanaimo but to satisfy his own very large ego.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by citychick View Post
    To all who support him and sing his praises - bully for you - you obviously had a different relationship with him than most City Hall staff...
    I agree that you might dislike Jerry if you are a city employee. Most city staff do not like the big boss, because he is usually distant from their usual day to day functions at City Hall or in the Annex or any other City department. I know that if and when my boss were to sell or if there was a change of ownership in my company, I would probably feel the same that you feel for Jerry with my boss.

Personally, I think this thread will thrive on negative only. Give the guy a break!! Could you do better?? Nothing stopping anyone from showing they are above it all??!!

A job to over see all the departments and to have to deal with each management would be of a constant challenge? OMG, this man will have a life back after 30yrs. Let the young live, grow and learn!! lol.

+ Reply to Thread