+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to Nanaimo

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    But my two best friends who I'm moving with, they're married, his parents live in Nanaimo, so I can always get them to scout out places I'm interested in . . .

Thus one of my reasons for not liking people, haha.
    Oh, you're set then. It's really tough moving as far as you're moving unless you know people where you're going, or you're moving with friends.

I have met a great many people I didn't like or didn't trust. But very few, if any, animals that I've met would fall into that category.

If you've got an established relationship with a veterinarian, I'd check with him/her before shipping your cats. I boarded my cat with my vet for about a week while I moved, since I was afraid with all the packing, moving, the moving guys in and out of my condo, that he'd somehow slip out, and he had to be an indoor cat--a lot of serious health problems that required daily meds, and only one eye. If he'd managed to get himself outside, he wouldn't have survived and I would have gone nuts. And when I picked him up to bring him to our new home, I bought a spray pump container of something I can't remember the name of, but it was to spray anywhere that he might be tempted to "mark his turf." Not that he'd ever been a "sprayer" but I wasn't taking any chances. And the vet also told me that it would have a soothing effect on him. It worked.

You might want to check on cat Valium, and maybe try it out before you put them on a plane to check on their reactions. I don't know how long it would be effective for, 'tho. Not sure exactly what they call it, but even 'tho he'd never been treated by a vet when I wasn't there (except I didn't stick around for the neutering, thank you very much, so there's no way he was ever mistreated by a vet) he absolutely hated the vet, who was a great guy and very gentle. And the poor vet had been treating him right from the time my friend discovered him in her barn, along with his feral mother, "sister", and four dead litter mates--something had attacked them, four were killed, and only he and his sister survived, and he'd lost an eye.

After about a year of his embarrassingly bad behaviour at the clinic, the vet gave me a supply of cat tranquillizers, so that I could give him one about half an hour before he had an appointment. Before that, if it was ear treatment, they'd put him in kind of a cat straight jacket, a heavy canvas bag with a zipper, with only his head sticking out. If it was anywhere else, it was a battle to the death. It got funny, actually. The vet or his tech would get a stack of band aids and put them on the examining table, along with a stack of alcohol swabs. And usually all three of us would need at least one by the time whatever it was, was finished. The cat's attitude was "There will be blood--and it won't be mine." And yet any other time he was friendly, outgoing, the life of the party. Even with visitors he'd never seen before, he acted like he was running for elected office.

If you ever have to take one of your cats to a veterinarian and need to use a taxi, call AC Taxi. I used them for vet's trips after I had to stop driving, and they are really good. But I always used to warn the dispatcher that I was transporting a cat, in case a driver was allergic to cats. They are so good that pre-Valium, my cat threw up in his crate on the back seat. The driver was absolutely fantastic. Understanding, even laughed, said it wasn't necessarily the first time a living creature had thrown up in a taxi, but it was the first time an animal had done it. May the Cat God bless the AC drivers!

Yeah, it's good that I'll be moving with my two favourite people in the world. They're the only friends I have left because everyone else screwed me over so I walked away. Because well, friends don't treat you like crap, if they do, they aren't your friend. Now whether we end up in the same place is a different story. She is graduating university in April and she's going where the jobs are, so she may be going to Victoria. Whereas I'm looking for price and the job will come after, haha. But hopefully I'll be able to transfer my job to the store in Nanaimo, we shall see.

And I agree completely, animals are the best friends you could ever have. I love them so much. Even more than people to be honest. My cats are my babies.

Well, my baby, Shadowfox, got his boosters today and I talked to the vet. She told me to buy cat crates as soon as I can afford it. And start training the cats now. She said to lock them up in crates at night so they get use to it. So that by the time I'm ready to move, they will be use to being in a crate for longs periods of time. That will save them on stress and prevent bathroom accidents in their crates.

Is this AC taxi expensive? I may have to take said taxi from Victoria to Nanaimo as I'm not sure whether I can get a ride or not. And I don't even have a G1 so it's not like I can rent a car, lol. But hopefully my friends parents will be able to pick me up from the airport. I shouldn't even think about this stuff yet as it's 6 months away. But Murphey's Law likes to trickle in so I want to make sure I have all my basis covered.

That's a really intense story of how you got your cat. The poor kitty. That's so unfortunate. It's good that you found him. It's pretty amazing that he turned out so friendly after experiencing such trauma. I bet he's a spoiled baby. :P
    Let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out

Yeah, it's good that I'll be moving with my two favourite people in the world. They're the only friends I have left because everyone else screwed me over so I walked away. Because well, friends don't treat you like crap, if they do, they aren't your friend. Now whether we end up in the same place is a different story. She is graduating university in April and she's going where the jobs are, so she may be going to Victoria. Whereas I'm looking for price and the job will come after, haha. But hopefully I'll be able to transfer my job to the store in Nanaimo, we shall see.

And I agree completely, animals are the best friends you could ever have. I love them so much. Even more than people to be honest. My cats are my babies.

Well, my baby, Shadowfox, got his boosters today and I talked to the vet. She told me to buy cat crates as soon as I can afford it. And start training the cats now. She said to lock them up in crates at night so they get use to it. So that by the time I'm ready to move, they will be use to being in a crate for longs periods of time. That will save them on stress and prevent bathroom accidents in their crates.

Is this AC taxi expensive? I may have to take said taxi from Victoria to Nanaimo as I'm not sure whether I can get a ride or not. And I don't even have a G1 so it's not like I can rent a car, lol. But hopefully my friends parents will be able to pick me up from the airport. I shouldn't even think about this stuff yet as it's 6 months away. But Murphey's Law likes to trickle in so I want to make sure I have all my basis covered.

That's a really intense story of how you got your cat. The poor kitty. That's so unfortunate. It's good that you found him. It's pretty amazing that he turned out so friendly after experiencing such trauma. I bet he's a spoiled baby. :P
    Well, he came to a good home, I think--me. His sister stayed with my friend who found them all, but she couldn't persuade his mother to give up her feral ways, no matter how hard she tried, so mom eventually disappeared. But her milk had dried up, so for a few weeks, my friend's Mom was actually feeding him and his sister either with a tube or a teeny tiny baby bottle.

All three, the mother and the two surviving kittens, went immediately to the clinic that treated him all his life. Mom was spayed, and given her shots, all the injuries were patched up for all three, and I ended up with a kitten I didn't expect. His sister stayed on the farm. It was better that I had him, because he required a lot of care and a lot of medications, and my friend had kids, cattle, pigs, horses, chickens, other cats and dogs and a farm to run, along with a full-time job.

I'm an over-preparer and "expect the worst and be ready for it" person, too. I should get a blue ribbon or something from the city for the contents of my earthquake preparedness kit--another lovely feature of Island and coastal life. We sometimes get minor earthquakes, but nothing disastrous here that I've ever experienced. I'd check with an airline about what their requirements are for the crates. I've been in airports where people have been told that the crates aren't acceptable, so make sure you get crates that they'll accept. Wouldn't be too great to buy crates in the pretty near future and then discover later that the airline won't accept them.

I don't think AC Taxi is permitted to come to Victoria to pick you up. I think it's a law here. They can pick you up in the city where they operate and take you anywhere you want, and then bring you back, but I don't think they're permitted to drive to another city to pick you up there. As in, if I wanted to go to Victoria, AC Taxi could take me there from here, and then bring me back (with the driver waiting while I did whatever I had to do) but I don't think they could drive down to Victoria and pick me up from an incoming flight, for example. I think it would have to be a Victoria taxi company to do that. I'll see if I can find out. It certainly used to be that way, but the laws may have changed.

I think in any smaller town taxis are a bit more expensive than they are in major urban centres like Vancuver, for example. But that makes sense. A smaller customer base, no big huge revenue sources like hundreds of people hitting the streets after clubs close at night, no major airport with thousands of people coming in every day and needing taxis, no major sporting events like pro league hockey and football, which is another huge income stream. So just to keep afloat, they have to charge more. But any time they want to increase their fares, they have to publicize it, it has to go in front of a government review board, etc. They cannot just decide they are going to do it. Have to stop now. Have somehow flipped to some other language, and the usual fix is not working Cannot do apostrophes for example. Yikes!

Yeah, once they're feral you can't really tame them. And rightly so, I mean, would you want to give up that kind of freedom and be locked in a house all day. I sure as hell wouldn't lol. That's so cute about baby feeding them. It makes me go awwwwww.

It's good the mom got fixed and patched up. Yeah it would be hard for the one you took to live on the farm for sure. Especially just having the one eye. And some cats just need to be house cats with loving parents. And I'm sure he knew you were a good owner, as cats choose their owners, not the other way around.

I think it would be kind of neat to experience an earthquake. Not the Earth shattering houses are destroyed type, but just enough so you can feel the ground move. I think that would be an awesome feeling.

When it comes closer to the time that I'll be buying the crates, I will make sure they are airline approved. I can also ask the vets as well, they can recommend some I'm sure. They're really nice people, the clinic I go to, they love my babies. Especially Shadowfox, because he was a stray and I took him in because he use to be a house pet and his owners left him behind when they moved. So he would've died because he was getting beat up by all the other cats. Unfortunately for me, I doubt his owners took him to the vets as he's about 3 yrs old and hasn't been fixed. But I suppose that's a good thing, except for me having to pay for it, because he has a huge tomcat face and is so adorable. And they're faces only get that way because of the hormones. His nickname is Mr. Jowels, hahaha.

Okay well, assuming that this AC taxi can't travel to get me. How much do you suspect the drive would cost. Say if you went to Victoria from Nanaimo. Am I looking at like, a $200 cab fair or maybe more. I don't really taxi anywhere and the places I do go it usually costs me like $20, then again that's usually a 15 minute ride, so I can imagine a taxi would be expensive to another city...plus tip.

Yeah exactly, small town being more expensive for rides. I'm sure it'll cost me an arm and leg to cab one way, lol.

Instead of flying from Ottawa to Victoria and facing a taxi bill of over $280.00, book a ticket to Nanaimo with a transfer in Vancouver. That way, you are here. Once here, a yellow AC Taxi can whisk you from the airport to downtown for about $36.00, a bit more it you are going further north.

Taxis in British Columbia can pick up anywhere, providing they are returning to their host city. A taxi from Nanaimo could pick up in Victoria if they are going back to Nanaimo, upon prebooking. Companies doing this require a pre-payment of the approximate fare with the balance upon arrival in Nanaimo. This prevents a taxi from arriving at the airport in Victoria to find nobody is there.

The Nanaimo Airport Shuttle service is one I used regularly and they provide excellent service.

http://www.nanaimoairporter.com/

DOWNTOWN NANAIMO
    FROM CASSIDY AIRPORT
    OR DUKE POINT
    First passenger $23.
    Each additional passenger at $5
    DEFILER PRODUCTIONS - Sound, stage and lighting - for all your events

The only problem is, I don't think Air Canada takes animals and I have 3 cats to fly with me. I know Westjet takes animals but they don't fly to Nanaimo, just Victoria.

Edit: Okay I just checked Air Canada, it costs $100 a pop to fly each animal. So I could probably do that and get to Nanaimo. The only thing that sucks is instead of a one way ticket, which was what I was going to do to get to Victoria, I would have to transfer twice. So say, from Ottawa to Calgary to Vancouver to Nanaimo. I don't know how much stress transferring flights would cause on my cats.

Yeah I can imagine how hard it would be to give them away, they become your children. I live on the 10th floor, and last year Toby fell out the window. When I realized what happened I was in hysterics. He was climbing the screen and it broke. When I saw the broken screen, my heart dropped, I thought he was dead. I looked out the window and saw him look up at me and he was meowing. I freaked out. When I got him to the vets, and about $700 later, he had broken his tail and fractured his pelvis. He's almost completely healed, he can't move the tip of his tail to about 1/3 of the way up. But I was devastated, I still think about what would've happened if he had died, it's heartbreaking.

As for getting rid of stuff, the plan is to start fresh. I'm not really attached to material things, just some stuff. Of course I have a positive attitude, there is no way in this Earth, that moving would be worse than continuing to live in Ottawa or go back home to Hamilton to be near my family. Screw that noise. The only downfall to this move is going to be money and that's it. It's hard to keep things moving though, it's like a kid in a candy store, you just want what you want. This lesson in patience is irritating, haha.

Ah no worries, the only thing that puts me off of Victoria is that it's a city, lmao. I really can't handle people anymore. I'm just too different from them to associate with, other than for customer services purposes at work, and my coworkers are pretty damn awesome. Which helps. I don't understand people. I don't know why they do the things they do. I don't get why people just can't be nice to each other and live in love consciousness. It alludes my brain, so I try and avoid people if I can help it, lol. But BC seems pretty chill, so maybe there are more open hearts like mine out there. One can only wait and see and hope.
    It was hard to give my cats away. I hated it. I was emotional over it. I can see why you'd be in hysterics over your cat falling. That's awful. Poor kitty. Plus poor you at $700 for the vet bill. Ouch. It is good kitty has healed, but still the thoughts are awful. A good plan to start fresh and have a good attitude and yes money is a downfall. The lesson in patience is irritating, but good things do come to those who wait. Most people ( family included ) don't understand me, so I can relate to not understanding them. I do get an avoidance mode with people too, but do my best to not be in that mode permanently.

I don't know how you did it. A lot of people don't appreciate animals and when you say you gave them away, some people might say, I don't get it, it's a cat. I can imagine how horrible it would be. My heart goes out to you.

The sad part is, I'm glad he was so young, he was two when it happened. If he was older, I may have had him put down. But somehow, I made the money available so that I could save him. You just do what you have to.

Ha! Good things come to those who wait, the most famous of annoying sayings ....I'm 23...still waiting, lol. I've been patient enough in my eyes, haha.

I get the whole family thing. I'm an alien compared to them. It's kind of humourous actually. Especially at family dinners, on the rare occasion I actually make it home.

My thing with "avoidance" of people is that, it's not that I'm really avoiding them, more like, I'm not seeking them out. I'm not going to go and join clubs, or go out to bar to "meet new people". It's more, if someone comes across my path, it happened for a reason and I'll give them the time of day. I feel like I have a sticker on my head that says, victim here, and then unconscious carcasses flock my way. So I just don't seek them out. The two friends I'm moving with are the only ones who haven't screwed me over, so I suppose I'm a little jaded and disappointed with people, lol. But what can you do...not seek them out.

Looking back, I don't know how I did it either. Many don't appreciate animals. I always have and will. I appreciate your concern about giving them away. Never easy, I'd never wish it on anyone. My buddy had to get his dog put down, and he can relate to giving a pet away. It was hard on him too. His youth worked in your favor. And if he was older, that would have gone against you most likely. At least you made the moves to help it out rather than give up and get it put down. I know it is an annoying saying about good things, and I have had to say it more than I want to. With me, I have moments where I just don't want to be found or find others. But at least with the people you are living with, they are of good character, and haven't messed around with you.

+ Reply to Thread