+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crabbing Locations

We go downtown every weekend and crab off the dock and have great results every time.
    DEFILER PRODUCTIONS - Sound, stage and lighting - for all your events

Quote Originally Posted by Noxy View Post
    We are new to this crabbing thing as we only moved to Nanaimo in December..but watched a few fellas out at the fishing pier and thought we would give it a try. We tryed our luck there and was pleasantly surprised at the results. Are the crabs bigger out in open water? End of March when we can get our new license we will try Departure bay in the canoe...will have to get the box traps though because all we have at the moment is the half moon spring traps.
    If you want larger, fuller crabs, you must go deep. If you have a depth sounder on your vessel, use it to locate holes or deep channels at 100ft or more. Stay out of shipping lanes and mark your bouy so it will be seen. I use fish heads and an LED light. The light serves as a beacon that most sealife is attracted to the blood trail really gets them moving.

Always use fresh bait and discard after an hour or so of soaking. If you have fishing bait oils, you can stretch it abit more, but nothing replaces freshness. Be sure the trap doors work freely and some folks put a light rubber band on the doors make sure they stay closed, except for when you have guests trying to come in.

If you enjoy fishing, drop your lines near your trap. In BC, it is illegal to "chum" the water, but if you fish where you crab, the crab bait is a legal way of chumming, after all you are crabbing and there is law to prevent your from fishing near your trap.

Default Crabbing in Nanaimo Downtown Habour

Hello everyone,
    I have heard quite a lot about crabbing at Nanaimo Downtown Habour. My friends and I are planing to do it next week, so we just want to ask if anyone have experienced that. So we just wonder about the policy, daily license, and cost for one person. Also can we rent a cage? Is there any particular way to fish the crab?
    This is our first crabbing...Please leave a comment if you know anything about it. We will appriciate it!

Hi there, My fiance and I go to the fishing dock all the time..it really is a lot fo fun. For a one day licence it will cost you about $6 per person, I am not sure if you can rent traps or not but if you want to come out and give it a try maybe we can coordinate a time to do this with you and you can borrow a couple of our traps and we can fill you in on what to do...If you would be interested in crabbing with us email me and we can set something up for next week when you want to go out. And I can give you more details too My email is noxy@live.ca - if you are not comfortable with this email me anyway and I can just send you a bunch of information..where to go for traps and tides and the sort, bait to use...

It really is a fantastic way to spend a day and catch yourself a great meal

Quote Originally Posted by Noxy View Post
    We are new to this crabbing thing as we only moved to Nanaimo in December..but watched a few fellas out at the fishing pier and thought we would give it a try. We tryed our luck there and was pleasantly surprised at the results. Are the crabs bigger out in open water? End of March when we can get our new license we will try Departure bay in the canoe...will have to get the box traps though because all we have at the moment is the half moon spring traps.
    Those half moon traps work great for me. Just went out on Saturday for the first time in months and my first catch on that half moon was a big one. We stayed for 1hr 1/2 and got 4 nice ones. Crabbing dock downtown.

I steam cook the crab and remove the contents from the claws/main body; them then give the crab meat away to friends and neighbours.

Just love the outdoors and love to spend hours on end by the ocean and meeting great people.

My husband and I use 2 of the half moon crab traps and 2 cages and we have better luck on the 1l2 moon traps.

There is also more play on the 1/2 moons which keeps you busier on those cold days.

PS: Crabbing license expires March 31/13.
    Last edited by All Ages Music Concerts; 03-17-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    DEFILER PRODUCTIONS - Sound, stage and lighting - for all your events

Now that the nice weather is here; so looking forward to spending more early morning times on the dock crabbing.

+ Reply to Thread