+ Reply to Thread

Thread: moving to the island

Default moving to the island

We're planning on moving to the Nanaimo area this summer. Rob is a teacher/sportsfan and I am an artist/waitress/aspiring yoga instructor. We love hiking, concerts, and going on random outdoor adventures. Rob grew up in small town New Brunswick, and I'm from Halifax, Nova Scotia. We are very social creatures and like to be involved with community events.

I don't want to sound like a dating ad, just want to give an idea of what kind of people we are. We've been researching Nanaimo and Parksville, but can't decide between the two. Rob's never been to BC and I've only been to the Island once, so it's hard to really know what to expect, which leads us to our big list of questions!

1) What is the #1 thing to expect that we can't read online?
    2) What is your favourite thing about living on the Island?
    3) Teachers: is there a demand for new teachers or supply teaching?
    4) Artists: I know you're out there! What is the arts scene like in the Nanaimo area?
    5) What, aside from the obvious, will we need when we arrive?
    6) Is it a particularly expensive place to live?

Thanks in advance for all the input!

Quote Originally Posted by caitandrob View Post
    We're planning on moving to the Nanaimo area this summer. Rob is a teacher/sportsfan and I am an artist/waitress/aspiring yoga instructor. We love hiking, concerts, and going on random outdoor adventures. Rob grew up in small town New Brunswick, and I'm from Halifax, Nova Scotia. We are very social creatures and like to be involved with community events.

I don't want to sound like a dating ad, just want to give an idea of what kind of people we are. We've been researching Nanaimo and Parksville, but can't decide between the two. Rob's never been to BC and I've only been to the Island once, so it's hard to really know what to expect, which leads us to our big list of questions!

1) What is the #1 thing to expect that we can't read online?
    2) What is your favourite thing about living on the Island?
    3) Teachers: is there a demand for new teachers or supply teaching?
    4) Artists: I know you're out there! What is the arts scene like in the Nanaimo area?
    5) What, aside from the obvious, will we need when we arrive?
    6) Is it a particularly expensive place to live?

Thanks in advance for all the input!
    Welcome to the forum!

Nanaimo and Parksville are both lovely communities. I live in Nanaimo but have spent time in both. Here are my impressions.

Parksville: Older demographics, less shops and services, less jobs, slower pace, further from ferry and airport service.

Nanaimo: Younger demographics, lots of shops and services, more jobs, more people, great access to ferry and good access to airport. More job opportunities.

The Arts and Music scene is incredibly vibrant on Vancouver Island. My wife is a performing and recording music artist and there are always great concerts and open mikes going on.

You can check out these kinds of events at Harbour Living.

Not particularly expensive housing wise, cheaper than places like Vancouver, Victoria or Edmonton. Lots of good fresh farmer's market produce in the summer.
    Garland Coulson, Captain Time - http://CaptainTime.com

+ Reply to Thread