+ Reply to Thread

Thread: East to west - island to island

Default East to west - island to island

Hello everyone!
    I'm new to the island and thought I would make it official by posting here. Sort of a debutant thing I suppose, if only I looked better in a dress eh So with that in mind, let me tell you a bit about myself. I grew up on Cape Breton island and much of my life so far has been spent living there and in Halifax, NS. My parents are artists so I rebelled and went to school to study computer science much to their chagrin. I've worked as a blacksmith, computer programmer, drummer (albeit an untalented one), 3D CG modeler, tree planter, etc. Right now I'm slowly learning how to play the guitar. I'm pretty shy (painfully so at times) which I used to think resulted from growing up on a dirt road until my brother turned into a social butterfly. Anyway, I'm hoping to meet some new people and make some new friends so drop me a line if you think we might get along.

Cheers!

Welcome! lots of folk from Cape breton here. i hope you love our island.

We like new people! Welcome!
    Wyatt Earp
    Knows a thing or two about a thing or two but is always willing to learn about a third!
    www.arrowsmithpm.com

HOWDY Zebbo

WELCOME TO NANAIMO!!

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! I've been here a solid two weeks now and I quite like the island, almost as good as those bars with the same name It's kind of like Cape Breton, except taller trees, bigger mountains and whole lot less snow. We even have Sydney on Cape Breton too.

Welcome to our end of the world. Are you married, single, kid's?

Someone once wrote in that you will never be a Cape Bretoner unless you were born there and we were reassuring them that it was not like that here.
    Now you should know that we have a really good relationship with Easterners here. From what I understand you fellows and Newphis are not the best of friends but some of the nicest people I have met came from Cape Breton and Newfoundland so I think you will be popular everywhere you go (especially if you carry that fantastic accent here with you.)
    One day I hope to go where you used to be at just to see it.
    What brought you here (and dont say a plane or someting hillarious like that.)
    whatever it was all the best to ya there young feller!
    (pic) Keep warm, and winter well.

Uh oh, I didn't realize this place was an end of the world - I may have jumped in over my head. I'm single and thank you for asking QueenE. You come here often ? hahaha just kidding (I'm pretty sure I'm not royal material, let alone the stuff of kings).
    My parents moved there from Ontario and BC about 27-28 years ago and they are still considered "come-from-awayers" so you may be right kickidee. I'm first generation I suppose and unfortunately/fortunately I don't have much of accent. My uncle in Vancouver says my r's (as in car, far, etc) are strange but that's about it. As far as those bloody Newphies are concerned...hahaha just kidding again. I love Newphies, they are the funniest people on Earth. "Stay where yer at till I come where yer to" Absolutely priceless. I tend think of Newfoundland and Newphies as more extreme Capers. Bigger island, bigger mountains, bigger storms, more moose, more bars, more rum plus Danny Williams and an half hour time difference. They obviously have a sense of humour.
    As for what brings me to Nanaimo.... I don't truly know. My brother went to Revelstoke to snowboard for what's left of the winter and I decided to catch a ride with him and then I just kept going. I guess that's called a whim and I suppose that's what it was. Time will tell if the dice rolled in my favour.

Sounds like a Caper to me.
    My lead guitarist is from Sydney as a are a few other friends of mine in Nanaimo.I love them all dearly, for their love of family, and their strange sense of humor.
    Cape Breton seems to breed a wonderful sort of musician.
    I would dearly love to go there one day. The pictures I have seen look just like my Scottish home.

Hi and welcome. My buddy and his family all hail from NS, so you aren't the only transplant from there, that I have come across. Nice that you made the move out here, and again welcome.

+ Reply to Thread