+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Trees in Nanaimo

Default Favourite Trees in Nanaimo

We have some amazing trees and other flora around Nanaimo, including huge firs and graceful arbutuses, vibrant manzanitas, colourful rhododendrons, otherworldly monkey puzzle trees, hopeful palms, delicious magnolias, and so much more. Post your photos here!

(There is another thread on this photos forum, about Nanaimo botany, but that thread is more about smaller plants and flowers, while this thread is more about larger things - especially trees.)

Here is a huge willow in a backyard at Stirling and Fifth St (sorry about the photo quality - I took it with an iPhone camera) - I would like to think that this thing increases the property value of the property by 20k +. I'm sure the market would disagree - but I would think it was a fair assessment if I were a buyer:

Willow on Stirling Ave, Nanaimo

Here's an interesting arbutus up on Extension Ridge:

Twisting arbutus trunk, Nanaimo

Here's a huge arbutus on the nortwest part of Newcastle Island - unfortunately, the photo doesn't show its size too well. But it's a great tree large or small.

Large arbutus tree on Newcastle Island, Nanaimo

I love this Garry oak at Nob Hill Park anyone got a better photo of it?):

Garry oak at Nob Hill Park, Nanaimo

I love this kind of tree - I call them "climbing trees" cuz I don't know better. This one's in that nice forest at the end of Strickland Street near Alice's Restaurant.

climbing tree at end of Strickland St, Nanaimo

This is in a family friend's yard in Harewood. Does anyone know what kind of tree this is?!

Tree with Purple flowers

I like this one at the corner of Prideaux and Victoria. And I call those big branchy ones 'climbing trees' too! And these I call 'sitting trees'. This one is a particularly nice one but is located in that sad excuse for a park on Selby and Milford.

(And on a side note, does anyone know what that yellow-ish building is on Selby, pictured here? Is it just apartment buildings? It looks quite nice and there's some steps leading up to what looks like a nice sitting area in back, but as I'd only pulled into the parking lot to turn around, I felt a bit shy about getting out and poking around without knowing what the building was.)

Edit: I did a quick google for those purple flowers as they're really pretty - is it perhaps a blue jacaranda tree?

The photos I saw online of blue jacaranda didn't quite match how this one in Harewood looks, though the purple trumpet flowers are certainly similar.

Love that one in Nob Hill Park!

And - that IS an apartment building, yes. They also have a cool cupola up top with a viewing area, which is pretty sweet.

Here's a photo from Streetview, showing that excellent arbutus by the Janitor's Warehouse.

Millstone Ave. arbutus

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    This is in a family friend's yard in Harewood. Does anyone know what kind of tree this is?!

Tree with Purple flowers
    Yes it's a Paulownia tomentosa commonly called a princess tree

Man, now I want a yard full of purple flowered trees.

Too bad I have no yard.

I went for a walk in the daytime at Neck Point yesterday and noticed that if you go through the field to walk along the ocean instead of up the main paved road, there's a lot of old gnarled trees that look really nice right now when they're bare. Didn't bring my camera, but everybody here has probably already seen them!

Gary Oaks maybe?

I know I'm stretching the boundaries here but on a recent trip to Maple Bay we found this small grove of trees beside one of the back roads we took. I haven't seen many trees covered with spanish moss, or like we used to call it "old man's beard" since moving to this area. Lots of trees around Pr Rupert and the Queen Charlotte Islands are covered like these ghostly specimens.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb 7 2012 (10)..JPG
Views:	79
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	3542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb 7 2012 (7)..JPG
Views:	88
Size:	492.0 KB
ID:	3543  

+ Reply to Thread