+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A walk through Biggs park and Jack Point park

Great shots as usual. How long did it take you to do that walk and the photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey© View Post
    Great shots as usual. How long did it take you to do that walk and the photography?
    Thanks Smokey. I spent 3 hours at the parks, on Sunday afternoon. That includes an hour at the end of the point, waiting for the Duke Point ferry to come and go.

Default Otter-pogo monsters

Just take care you don't start rumours! Next thing you know we'll be having special otter-pogo spotting cruises going!

View of Jack Point, from the Duke Point ferry.

Jack Point, Nanaimo

Jack Point, Nanaimo

Jack Point, Nanaimo

Flugel again you have taken some great pics! Awesome job!!
    DEFILER PRODUCTIONS - Sound, stage and lighting - for all your events

Has anyone tried fishing off the rocks at Jack Point? Any success?

I was out at the Jack Point Park today. And yes...kinda spooky when you get out there with the glass in the parking lot and the mounds of graffiti everywhere. Once past that, it's quite the treat. I was curious about what was under the Welcome To Nanaimo sign, so I took a hike that way. Someone will probably tell me there is a secret path or something. But I ended up seeing a few paths that were very covered over by brush etc. So I walked along the highway sidewalk for a few minutes and then jumped over the barricade when it looked like not too bad of an area to try and hike in. Got a little attacked by prickle bushes and there was alot of moss covered rocks. Anyways, on my way through, I noticed kind of a half rock crescent shaped wall with rusty rebar sticking out of it. Couldn't tell what it was. I have to say I am quite intrigued to know what was there. As I walked through, I came to a clearing with a beautiful view and a really icky old bench covered in moss to sit on and of course it was wet from the frost this morning as well. But what a beautiful view. And do peaceful and scerene. I guess I'm curious to know if anyone knows why this park or section of the park isn't looked after. Looks like it had a ton of potential. Maybe I'm missing something. It just seems to sad that no one is looking after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberhuntersgirl View Post
    I guess I'm curious to know if anyone knows why this park or section of the park isn't looked after. Looks like it had a ton of potential. Maybe I'm missing something. It just seems to sad that no one is looking after it.
    Assuming that you turned-left after you walked through the tunnel (ie South), I think that you went outside the park boundary, which would explain the lack of maintenance.

On a related topic, I wonder where exactly the old canal was, that was used as a short-cut from Gabriola/Mudge to Nanaimo River Estuary. It's likely pretty close to where the pedestrian underpass is today, but I'm not sure.

Waitta Go Flugel Horn. Great Pics and sparked many interests to go out there with nature.
    Thanks, Barrie

3 more views from Jack Point park.
    - I visited on 4/17/2011:

Jack Point park, Nanaimo

Jack Point park, Nanaimo

Jack Point park, Nanaimo

+ Reply to Thread