+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gordon Campbell to step down

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
    Looks like we might have some "reason" injected into this set of idiot laws with Rich. It would seem that he's got more than a bit of support from the hopitality industry on this one since their customers have dropped another 20 to 30% after the HST hit them.

Education is the better way as a law based on fear clearly doesn't work. I would think that Rich will likely scrap this poorly thought out addition but time will tell. Not sure if there is hope but is certainly refreshing.
    The only reason for recalling this one is revenue loss.If someone had simply told them the level was stupidly low, nothing would change. But, someone told them that businesses are lossing money and that is tax dollars they ain't collecting. Thats why the law is under review. You said it best: "Education is the better way as law based on fear clearly doesn't work".

Now, if only someone would explain that the roadside impounds are illegal and would cost the BC gov't millions in defense dollars, they would repeal that one, too. But, then, maybe one of the gov't beancounters figures that more people would just let it go than fight it, so it may be financially advantagous to keep the law. I ponder if there is recourse for the BC gov't deliberately disregarding the Supreme Courts earlier rulings. The BC gov't seems to think they are above the Supreme Court's rulings.

Zedex,

there is no disregard - it is a lack of knowledge. I've said it before and now again, don't make a law that hasn't been tested by independent council.
    Wyatt Earp
    Knows a thing or two about a thing or two but is always willing to learn about a third!
    www.arrowsmithpm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
    Zedex,

there is no disregard - it is a lack of knowledge. I've said it before and now again, don't make a law that hasn't been tested by independent council.
    Yes, they should have tested the constitutionality of the recent laws before instilling them. A quick search of Supreme Court rulings would have put it to bed. But, more money will be wasted only to show the laws have failed the test more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by zedex View Post
    Wyatt Earp

You are correct. look at the gov't and look at unions. They are doing the same things: take, take , take, take and very little give.

People may not agree with any or all of my thoughts but that's ok. But, I have been on both sides of the fence and no rocket scientists are needed to see what is happening. If everyone takes from business and no one gives, how is that business to survive. Especially now, in tough times. Concessions need to be made by all parties. As long as one has guns aimed at business to extract higher wages and someone else has guns aimed at business for higher taxes, and the business has no defense mechanism, there is no hope for the business and no hope for the employees about to be sitting at home collecting EI. Then, taxes have to go up again in order to cover all those collecting checks. And another business suffers, the process repeats.

The demise of what we knew as the forest industry was not unions or government. It wasn't anything homegrown at all. The greatest damage to profitability was and is the international market.

The damage to profitable local processing of our natural resources is the lower cost of production primarily related to offshore labour and a complete lack of safety and environmental considerations.

Speech speech... Ok if I must... my experience in pulp and paper included two colleagues that went to Indonesia to commission a pulp mill. One mans statement to me was " It was so scary (unsafe) that I feared for my life everyday I was there". Another was " we are doomed", (meaning from an economic competitive perspective) "those blokes don't even were footwear in the plant". And we buy their products because they are cheaper. And now we give away our raw resources and buy back the value added. All at the cost of life and limb, not to mention the environment.

Uh oh * realization* Government killed the forest industry by creating and adhering to environmental and safety regulations and unions destroyed the forest industry by negotiating reasonable wages and benefits and that they are equitably distributed throughout the workforce. In that perspective I suppose YES. (tongue firmly in cheek)

So how can replacing the leader of the Liberal party rectify this? Wait a moment criminal Campbell quit because of a local issue, the HST. What say the Liberal government repeal the HST. Focus!

lol focus on the hocus pokus

+ Reply to Thread