+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Nanaimo

Default New to Nanaimo

I am new to Nanaimo and looking for employment. I have several skills in many different areas. See attached resume. Not afraid to work!

July , 2011
    To Whom It May Concern:

Please find attached a brief resume.
    I have many years experience as the aquatic and sports director at a YMCA facility, where I was responsible for the overall function of the organization, including supervision of the entire facility, human resources, payroll, development and coordination of activities, administrative duties as well as fund raising.

Additionally, it was my responsibility to maintain the profitability of the branch by implementing a diversity of programs which appealed to a wide variety of people in the community.

I offer a “can do” attitude and have excellent customer relation skills. I work extremely well with staff members and am an energetic team motivator. I believe that success is a result of effort and like to share my enthusiasm with others.

I would love the opportunity to meet with you, and discuss the skills and character traits I have to offer your organization.

Sincerely,

Penny Sandifer.
    (250) 816-5126
    pennyshereck@live.com

Penny Sandifer
    PO Box 379, Stn A
    Nanaimo, BC V9R 2M5 (250) 816-5126

Objective: To obtain a position utilizing my education and experience in a growing and exciting atmosphere.

Summary of Qualifications

-Solid background in medical, fitness and customer service environments.
    -Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
    -Great interpersonal skills.
    -Computer literacy.
    -Strong teaching skills

Work Experience

Muskoka Colours (2011 contract)
    Painter

- Prepare surfaces to be painted.
    - Paint surfaces.
    - Clean and organize work sites.

Alabama Orthopedic Clinic 2007-2008 (full-time)
    Medical Receptionist

- Responsible for checking in patients.
    - Filing of medical insurance.
    - Answering phones.
    - Appointment setting.
    - Keeping patient medical records.
    - Collecting Medical fees.
    - Patient comfort.

North Mobile YMCA Saraland 2002-2007 (full-time)
    Aquatics and sports director

-Member services and operation of front desk procedures.
    -Create, promote and operate public recreational programs.
    -Create and maintain budgets.
    -Oversee facility maintenance.
    -Responsible for human resources and payroll.
    -Customer service relations.
    -Scheduling of fitness, aquatic and sports programs.
    -General fundraising.

McGregor Medical clinic 1997-1999 (full-time)
    Medical Assistant/Receptionist

- Responsible for checking in and out patients.
    - Filing of medical insurance.
    - Answering phones.
    - Appointment setting.
    - Keeping patient medical records.
    - Collecting Medical fees.
    - Patient comfort.
    - Administer flu shots; take vital signs and medical histories.
    - Assist doctors with minor medical procedures.

Education

G.E.D. High School Equivalency, State Of Alabama.
    Medical Assistant, Capps College, Mobile Alabama

Additional Courses
    Capps College.

-Medical terminology.
    -Anatomy and physiology.
    -Typing and computer applications.
    -Medical bookkeeping.
    -Health assessment and vitals.
    - American Red Cross Instructor
    - American Red Cross CPR, AED, O2 and First Aid
    - YMCA swim instructor, dive & swim coach and licensed soccer coach

References

Dawn Sturgeon (Muskoka colours) (705)787-8547

Nancy Ezell (co-worker) (251)689-0225

Cheryl Schaffer (North Mobile YMCA Manager) (251)422-0681

Lots of work here. How about starting your own business??? Looks like you have a ton to offer!!

Good resume. Now the work begins and that is you can sell yourself on one condition.

Don't mail this resume or just hand it in someone at a business.

You need to have a good plan layed out on a spreadsheet, go for it and keep tabs on it. When you hand in resumes ask to speak with the person who does the hiring. If that is not possible get their name, phone number or if possbile a business card.

The first target is handing in the resume but after that it is a sell, sell , sell of yourself. You need to step up to the plate and make that resume be read. You can bait that resume with follow up calls, a written note to the hiring person and etc. Anyone can make a resume sound GREAT!

However showing your shine personally gets you closer to that goal!

You have just got to work it and have fun doing it!! LOL!

Good luck in your work endevours!! I am sure you will do well!!

Just remember * go to them instead of waiting for them to come to you*
    DEFILER PRODUCTIONS - Sound, stage and lighting - for all your events

There seems to be a lot of very busy dentists in this town. Maybe try for a position in reception in one of those?
    Coast Realty Nanaimo
    www.ryan-coffey.com

5. Default

I am always curious to know why people who have moved to Nanaimo, chose Nanaimo?? Especially, without having a job lined up first. I am not criticizing, I really want to know what attracts people to Nanaimo.

Thanks
    Jim Taylor
    www.nanaimo-info-blog.com

I've thought about this a lot as I spent about ten years of my life living on the road after growing up in the area. It's also something I think about a lot for my line of work. My answer is pretty long and I write about it here but here is the excerpt:

"After having spent 7 years away from B.C., I was so excited to return to my home island. There was no question in my mind that I had to live on Vancouver Island. Canada is definitely the country for me to live in because of its generally polite and well mannered population and it's carefree lifestyle, not to mention that it's my real home. After having lived in Nova Scotia for 3 years and briefly Ontario, and then having driven across the country from coast to coast I knew that B.C. had to be the place. It was the combination of the mild winters and the stunning natural beauty of the area, not to mention the cultural diversity which gives us the potential for endless exploration of different ways of thinking and living. (You should see the kaleidoscope of people from different cultures that show up at my dinner parties. It's always interesting.) It was just a question of which town, I had originally considered Victoria for a long time, but after some pondering I decided that the best place for me to live would be Nanaimo. Life here is certainly more affordable than Victoria and Vancouver, and if I feel that if I need my 'city fix' those places are easily accessed from here. I also feel safer here. I value being near nature, and there are some incredible areas of true wilderness that are within one or two hours drive from my front door. Not to mention the lakes, waterfront and forest walks that are within walking distance of most places in this town. In short, the more I travel and see the world, the more I feel lucky to have been born on this island. Life here has a good balance of all the things I value most. There are those who complain about life here, but when I hear that, I always wonder what they think the rest of the world is like."
    Coast Realty Nanaimo
    www.ryan-coffey.com

Quote Originally Posted by RyanCoffey View Post
    I've thought about this a lot as I spent about ten years of my life living on the road after growing up in the area. It's also something I think about a lot for my line of work. My answer is pretty long and I write about it here but here is the excerpt:

"After having spent 7 years away from B.C., I was so excited to return to my home island. There was no question in my mind that I had to live on Vancouver Island. Canada is definitely the country for me to live in because of its generally polite and well mannered population and it's carefree lifestyle, not to mention that it's my real home. After having lived in Nova Scotia for 3 years and briefly Ontario, and then having driven across the country from coast to coast I knew that B.C. had to be the place. It was the combination of the mild winters and the stunning natural beauty of the area, not to mention the cultural diversity which gives us the potential for endless exploration of different ways of thinking and living. (You should see the kaleidoscope of people from different cultures that show up at my dinner parties. It's always interesting.) It was just a question of which town, I had originally considered Victoria for a long time, but after some pondering I decided that the best place for me to live would be Nanaimo. Life here is certainly more affordable than Victoria and Vancouver, and if I feel that if I need my 'city fix' those places are easily accessed from here. I also feel safer here. I value being near nature, and there are some incredible areas of true wilderness that are within one or two hours drive from my front door. Not to mention the lakes, waterfront and forest walks that are within walking distance of most places in this town. In short, the more I travel and see the world, the more I feel lucky to have been born on this island. Life here has a good balance of all the things I value most. There are those who complain about life here, but when I hear that, I always wonder what they think the rest of the world is like."
    Nicely said and ever so true.
    DEFILER PRODUCTIONS - Sound, stage and lighting - for all your events

Quote Originally Posted by jimorsheryl View Post
    I am always curious to know why people who have moved to Nanaimo, chose Nanaimo?? Especially, without having a job lined up first. I am not criticizing, I really want to know what attracts people to Nanaimo.

Thanks
    Jim Taylor
    www.nanaimo-info-blog.com
    I always encourage people when they come here, if they don't have a job lined up, but have a list of skills or services they can offer, then start their own small business. The Nanaimo, Parksville, Nanoose and Qualicum areas are full of retirement people who have money and are willing to pay good, reliable, honest people to perform a variety of tasks for them. So long as you are honest and treat people fairly, a person will do well around here.

Sounds like your resume is perfect for a job at parks, recreation and culture!

Well first allow me to tell you that not everyone in this world has an easy life. I didn't choose to come to Nanaimo with no job. I have lived in the US for 20 yrs and because of personal reasons can no longer live there and be safe. I tried Ontario and could not take the cold and was told this was a nice area and the closest thing I would ever get to the southern weather where I am from. So with that said you try moving somewhere that you don't know anyone with two kids who now have to start all over too and try to start a life all over again. I was never asking for a hand out, but when you have spent years in school and move to another country and find out that all your certifications and schooling are no good and will have to start over it is a big blow to you. I am tired of having to explain myself to everyone I meet. Domestic Violence is not fun!!!! I was smart enough to walk away!!!!

+ Reply to Thread