+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Occupy Wall St, Occupy Nanaimo

Hi everyone, just returned back to the original thread and it's nice to see some responses (whether I agree with them all or not). Apathy is the worse thing in the world, so I have much respect for anyone with a point of view or opinion. Although the reasons for the "Occupy" rallies are very broad I think they can be summed up in two words.

ECONOMIC IMBALANCE

There is no clear leader or leaders in the Occupy movement. Personally I live a great life on Vancouver Island, I have a roof over my head and food in my fridge. I am more wealthy than the average person in North America. I am grateful for all this. Unfortunately, this is not everyone's life and in the world we live in there is more than enough to go around. My problem is the corporation/government connection that seems to strip the average citizen of a country of wealth and prosperity and even jobs to make a CEO rich. Examples include American companies cutting our trees down and legally shipping them over to China to be milled when logic would prove to us we should be keeping these logs here to provide jobs for Canadians. We have our priorities all twisted as a society. It's time for a change.

I attended the Occupy Nanaimo event and you can read my article HERE
    http://www.vireviews.ca

Default sitting on the fence

I have been watching the movement since the beginning and have found the whole movement fascinating. I have been watching from a distance and have not gotten involved with the protests because it seems there is no cohesiveness in the 'group'. As I watch the footage on TV, I see placards protesting a multitude of issues ranging from fish farms to 'evil' corporations. One protester that was camping out stated that he didn't plan on leaving until all demands were met. Whose demands? There are hundreds to choose from.

I think the best part of the whole revolution is the fact that it is getting people to think, it has started some dialogue, and it has made everyone aware that there are a multitude of issues that need attention.

IMHO what is lacking is any real dialogue on any solutions to the problems. Protesting the government is great but in addition to protesting maybe it is time to research and get involved with a political party that you can agree with. Protesting corporations is fine but what good is the protest if you continue to give the 'evil' corporations your money. The best way to fight the corporations is to stop sending your money to a head office on Bay street and to start supporting the locally owned mom and pop shop. Looking for new clothes? Try shopping downtown rather than the mall. Hungry for a burger. Drive past the logos and stop and eat at a locally owned restaurant. Corporations exist because you give them money. My favorite placard, that really starting me thinking, was one I saw from OWS "Main Street not Wall Street"

Camping out in a downtown park is great for bringing attention to the problem, but not providing any possible solutions.

While watching the weekend news I made a pledge to myself to focus on supporting local first. Every goods and service that I require whether it be food, clothing, or recreation will be focused on local first.
    Last edited by MarkP; 10-17-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: an oops

I 100% agree with you MarkP, money does speak in this world - so if we support each other (mom and pop and local shops) it re-directs that money we would have otherwise been spending in Wal-Mart or Costco or various other huge corporations.

I've wondered whether there is a single message or demand behind the movement -- I want it to be a powerful movement, and I was fearing that it would prove to be merely a romantic, flakey longing for the excitement of the Arab Spring.
    After some quick reading, though, I see that there is some focus:

This Adbusters article proposes a single mandate for the Occupy Wall St movement (in the U.S.):
    "We demand that Barack Obama ordain a Presidential Commission tasked with ending the influence money has over our representatives in Washington."
    (The article is short, so it's not the place to go looking for answers if you want any details, or fodder for your criticisms.)
    I don't think there's a big stretch required, to translate this demand for our own use, as Canadians.

So what is this, anyway, about money influencing our agents in government? I am going to try to summarize what I think this is about:

There is a corrupt relationship between government (no industrialized government stands unaccused as far as I know) and the corporate world (symbolically represented as "Wall St"), which is un-democratic insofar as it serves the interests of the few, at the expense of the many. The complaint is not so much that there exists an unequal distribution of wealth, but rather that the inequality is so gross. And furthermore, the gap between "the haves" and everyone else is perpetuated by a system whose legitimacy relies on its ability to serve the many.

"Show me proof that this corrupt relationship exists. Don't just claim it - prove it."
    That's what I expect the opposition to say. And it's a fair response. But I have nothing concrete to point to. Not at this moment. Do I really need to? Is there anyone out there who thinks there isn't a problem, there?

Great post River Rat. This Nanaimo Group will be letting some of the City Council know tomorrow at 11:30! Did some marching and chartting with the group today. They are very focused and positive. They are taking in the homeless, feeding people and making sure that everyone is safe! I finally have hope for the future, as these young ones are learning what they dont know, and applying what they do know in an organized, democratic manner.

Quote Originally Posted by vanislandrev View Post
    Examples include American companies cutting our trees down and legally shipping them over to China to be milled when logic would prove to us we should be keeping these logs here to provide jobs for Canadians. We have our priorities all twisted as a society. It's time for a change.

Those raw log export jobs provide many BCer's with employment, possibly in the thousands when you consider the spinoff effect. If we stopped raw log exports, many people in BC would be out of work.

I don't like seeing the logs go elsewhere. But if anyone can come up with the cash to build new mills in BC to service the Chinese, Japan and USA markets, then do so.

Jobs plan will benefit Island, premier vows
    Clark points to efforts to boost Asia-Pacific trade
    Rob Shaw, Times Colonist
    Published: Tuesday, October 18, 2011

(Christy Clark quote)"I think parts of the Island where you see big unemployment numbers are often, not exclusively, but often places that are forest-dependent communities," said Clark.
    "So what we need to do is open up more markets, we need to find more people around the world who want to buy our manufactured wood. Period. That is the answer. You need someone to sell that stuff to if you're going to produce it."

My thoughts: She has a good head on her shoulders and she is not afraid to speak it. I like her spunk!!I also believe she is a woman of action and knowledge!
    DEFILER PRODUCTIONS - Sound, stage and lighting - for all your events

A very complex subject. An area that begins with ones own self. Living within our own means, supporting our local community in more ways than one, everyone taking a baby step to work as a community and not so much as getting there first to own it; to yourself. We just need to get rid of alot of selfishness to begin the journey of success.
    Along with kicking the * self rightish attitude* Living in a true community where EVERYONE DESERVE A CHANCE IN LIFE WITHOUT JUDGEMENT.

Next on the agenda--- Wet housing!!! Keeping open minds as it is all part of this cycle!!!! Without it: it does FAIL.
    DEFILER PRODUCTIONS - Sound, stage and lighting - for all your events

(Christy Clark quote)
    "So what we need to do is open up more markets, we need to find more people around the world who want to buy our manufactured wood. Period. That is the answer. You need someone to sell that stuff to if you're going to produce it."

Well, Christy, the timber industry in BC has being trying to do this (and doing this) for years now. So what new plan regarding this do you have to put on the table? Oh right, nothing, as usual. Just your usual smile and talk and no action plan to back it up.

Say bye-bye at the next election, Christy. And let's hope you are out before you can cash in on that sweet BC MLA pension plan.

EDIT:

In the latest in a long legacy of politicians being hypocritical on pensions, Global News has discovered that Premier Christy Clark bought back into BC's gold-plated MLA pension plan, and the Canadian Taxpayers Federation's BC Director Jordan Bateman isn't happy about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmVu9-4gSuw

Christy says in the vid, because of this, she and her other MLA's should at least support the new min. wage. Can you say "BREADCRUMBS"? !!

Yes, you guys get the gold plated pension plan, and the poor people get to eat the breadcrumbs. Mmm...yummy....

So this is what it is really all about for the Victoria BC government. That is, it ain't really all about sharing the wealth. It's about hoarding money.
    Last edited by MDavis; 10-19-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDavis View Post
    Those raw log export jobs provide many BCer's with employment, possibly in the thousands when you consider the spinoff effect. If we stopped raw log exports, many people in BC would be out of work.

I don't like seeing the logs go elsewhere. But if anyone can come up with the cash to build new mills in BC to service the Chinese, Japan and USA markets, then do so.
    It's simple. Mill the logs here in BC, it creates MORE jobs! If anyone can explain to me LOGICALLY the purpose of sending raw logs over to China to get milled (other than the CHEAP labour of course) then I may support it. If we are annihilating our forests here, we need to be milling it and reaping the benefits HERE.

+ Reply to Thread