+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: telus vs shaw in 2012

Default telus vs shaw in 2012

I'm looking into getting a good bang for my buck tv and internet package for when I move to Nanaimo, and so far it looks like the telus optik bundle(essential tv and high speed turbo 25 internet @ $40/month for first 6 months, $70/month after that) suits me best. The Samsung Galaxy tablet on a 3yr term, and is worth ~$500, is a nice bonus too.

A similar bundle through shaw, with(close to) the internet speeds I'm looking for, is $110/month from the start, has much slower internet "up to" speeds: but, it does have a much better tv package(looks like twice as good, but I dont know anything about tv).

It seems to me shaw is serving people who love their tv, and/or have lots of money for really fast internet: and, telus is serving people(like me) who want decently fast internet for cheap. I'm not really sure how the telus tv packages compare, and I'm all about getting cheaper/faster internet here, so I've pretty much decided.

I'd love to hear any musings, experiences, and/or pieces of advice you guys can share before I jump into anything. Particularly, if any of you are on a telus optik internet plan, and could share your results from speedtest.net, that would be much appreciated! I'm curious what kind of speed drops you guys get in Nanaimo?

In and around north Nanaimo and Lantzville

Cheap is great as long as you are online...

I hear of more people having issues with Telus around here than Shaw. Also, don't forget the Telus Optik shares everything on your network so if someone is watching an HD movie, and someone is on the phone, your Internet slows down... Finally, if you have a hardware problem with Telus, don't expect fast resolution. Shaw has a local presence. Price isn't everything - that's for sure.

I've gone back and forth and have had both sometimes and I've finally settled on Shaw for the whole bundle.

I am confident I can fix most problems people have with their home networks myself, and I'm not sharing the internet with anyone else, so I don't have to worry about the slowdowns from sharing. You're final point would be worst case scenario, and that would be a burn with Telus extra wait time, for sure.

Still, I am going for Telus this round, as I just can't justify paying $40 more a month($70 more for the first 6 months) for such slow internet that affects my job on a daily basis: even if there are a few more hiccups I have to fix here and there. I'll let you all know how it goes after a good run through.

Thanks for sharing tailtwister!

It is hard to judge because of the TV component. If you look at them unbundled, Shaw has the High Speed 20 for $55 per month with 20 Mbs and 200GB bandwidth. Telus has High Speed Turbo 25 for $54 per month with 25MBps download and 500 GB of bandwidth.

So on the surface, Telus wins.

In my case though, I have had terrible service from Telus for years, so I refuse to deal with them. I only use about 60GB of data a month, so I don't need the extra bandwidth.

Shaw has given me much better service when I call them.
    Garland Coulson, Captain Time - http://CaptainTime.com

I just browsed over the thread so hopefully someone has not already mentioned this. It also depends on the area of the city that you live in. I know where I live I cannot get Telus. I can only get Shaw. Shaw is super helpful and I really love their service. Plus when you call their tech support line you actually get someone in Nanaimo which is awesome.
    Let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out

Well so far it seems like everyone on the forum here is all for Shaw, but almost everyone(short 1 person) I run into on the streets has been for Telus. We'll have to see what my experience is like, maybe I'll jump over to the Shaw ship someday.

Anyone have a speedtest.net result to share in Nanaimo? Regardless of service, I am curious what speeds(download and upload) you get vs what you are paying for.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by webdevin View Post
    Well so far it seems like everyone on the forum here is all for Shaw, but almost everyone(short 1 person) I run into on the streets has been for Telus. We'll have to see what my experience is like, maybe I'll jump over to the Shaw ship someday.

Anyone have a speedtest.net result to share in Nanaimo? Regardless of service, I am curious what speeds(download and upload) you get vs what you are paying for.

Thanks!

If you get a chance, do me a favor and link yours with Telus - I'm nearing the end of my six month go with Shaw and it's a definite "meh" for me so far. I don't want television or phone, I don't need tech support, and really the only thing that kept me from going Telus was the fact that you have to sign a contract - but I'm highly tempted to jump ship when I go from $20 a month to $55.

Will do fcnanaimo. The techs are hooking me up March 1rst, which is also looking like move in day for me: I can hardly wait! It might take me a day or 2 to get on here though.

Thanks for sharing your speedtest result: It's that upload speed that was one of my main reasons for not going with Shaw. That would be quite the bottleneck when I'm uploading a big website for a client.

hi you can also check the speed of your internet here scanmyspeed here they provide you good results and compare it with your results.

Default Impressed!

Alright I'm all moved in, fairly settled, and besides being a bit lonely I'm lovin' it here so far! As promised here is the speedtest results I get from telus now. They advertised 25Mb down, and 2.5Mb up:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1812343440.png (same test server as fcnanaimo)

Back in the comox valley I was getting this http://speedtest.net/result/1785917653.png on my "rural" internet plan from telus. One of the last pieces of work I uploaded from there took 32(tedious) hours to upload: that would have only taken ~8 hours on the new set up... What an upgrade! While that new download speed isn't to much better than shaw's advertised 20Mb, the upload speed is over 5.5 times faster than what shaw offered me, and for quite a bit more money too: that's not even competitive in my book.

@heebakutty: I think I'll stick with speedtest, as it also allows me to compare my results, and it allows for some more detailed server info and options while testing. Thanks though!

Anyways, the internet and tv have been great over the last few days, but I'll let you know about any problems I run into down the road.

+ Reply to Thread