+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving from Kitimat hopefully soon :)

Default Moving from Kitimat hopefully soon :)

Husband works at a job that he travels for months at a time--so wherever we live we will be alone for long periods of time.
    I am looking for an area of town that has good schools and decent houses for a fairly low rent and safe (if there is such a place-I hope so)
    Also where we live now --kids can pretty much walk anywhere and be safe--is walking to school and friends houses a good idea there or better to drive them--just curious.
    I am excited to move to somewhere where it is warmer--less snow and way more things to do!!

Kerry
    Last edited by kerrylynn; 03-02-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Welcome, kerrylynn -- great to have you on the forums and in town (soon)!

Hard to know what you would consider safe, of course. Some parts of town are more likely to have vagrants and addicts walking around, but I have never heard of an issue with them, involving kids. The only danger I perceive is in the perverts, and they can be anywhere.
    But if you want to see info about the different neighbourhoods, we have some here: http://www.nanaimoinformation.com/neighbourhoods.php

Good luck with your move!

Oh by the way, with the budget/wishlist you mentioned before, I'm thinking you should look at places that are on the rural outskirts of town: Cinnabar Valley especially, and maybe Pleasant Valley (not totally sure about costs there), and the Jinglepot area.

Thanks for the info--that really helps to narrow the search down some--the link is very informative too

welcome to paradise island kerrlynn....yup, great schools but, stick to the outskirts of town...the neighbourhoods around the city are very safe for walking to and from school and you'll find folks freindly there....Oh! and by the way, I am looking for the book written by John Kendricks called ("Kitimat, people of the snow")...if by chance you have it in the neighbourhood in Kitimat maybe I can buy it through you...thanx.....cheers!.....stanley strazza (aka stan the man)

I read a novel set in Kitimat, called Monkey Beach. Highly recommended!

Hi Kerry. We moved from Kitimat, where we'd lived for 17 yrs, to Nanaimo almost 20 yrs ago and we LOVE it here. YES there is much less snow and summer arrives every year not just some.....and LOTS to do. We've lived most of our lives here in the Jinglepot/Westwood Lake area and LOVE the rural, yet central location. There are LOTS of good neighbourhoods in Nanaimo, but would suggest you rent for a year or two before jumping into purchasing a house. If you want to pm me, I'd be happy to answer any questions for you. Good luck with your move. We have NEVER regretted moving here and often start the day with the comment "Another beautiful day in paradise" :-) ...Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    I read a novel set in Kitimat, called Monkey Beach. Highly recommended!
    roger that RR, I'm on it...thanx....stan the man

Welcome.

+ Reply to Thread