+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Five Fingers Island / Hudson Rocks Ecological Reserve

Default Five Fingers Island / Hudson Rocks Ecological Reserve

This is a really cool little group of islands, just outside of Departure Bay (and not as far out as Snake Island). You have to get out there with your own watercraft (we used canoes), but it is a very worthwhile excursion! It is a really neat landscape.

Here's the view from the ferry, or perhaps Piper's Lagoon (I forget where I took this):

Hudson Rocks Ecological Reserve, Nanaimo, BC

Canoeing to Five Fingers Island, Nanaimo, BC

Five Fingers Island oceanside park, Nanaimo, BC

Five Fingers Island with view of Nanaimo, BC

Lots of harbour seals out here!

Harbour seals at Hudson Rocks Ecological Reserve, Nanaimo, BC

Check out the algae, lichen, and mosquito larvae. Eww.

Algae and mosquito larvae in tidal pool

Man picnic

Five Fingers Island satellite image, Nanaimo, BC

Five Fingers Island panoramic, Nanaimo, BC

Nothing says "West Coast" better than Lucky Lager. Makes the 5-Fingers even better.

"Now...I suppose you are wondering why I called this meeting with you here today..."

Harbour seals at Hudson Rocks Ecological Reserve, Nanaimo, BC

Hey RiverRat. Yes, looks very cool. I am No canoest. How far to the Finger / Hudson Rocks? Where do you put the canoe in the water and how bad are the currents?
    Thanks, Barrie

Quote Originally Posted by Barrie C. Taylor View Post
    Hey RiverRat. Yes, looks very cool. I am No canoest. How far to the Finger / Hudson Rocks? Where do you put the canoe in the water and how bad are the currents?
    I'm not riverrat. But you can launch off from the public access point at Stephenson Point, or from the Pipers Lagoon Park area (Stephenson Point is better, shorter).

It's just a short trip. Can be done by canoe, or by way of dingy rowboat, or if you are a really good swimmer, or maybe you have an air mattress, ect.

We did it years back. But - DO NOT DO IT IN ROUGH WEATHER - or in impending bad weather. Remember - "squalls are for gulls"

Currents, I can't remember any. Riverrat might know better.

Have fun

MDavis, that's a great caption for that photo with the seals!

Barrie, I don't know anything about the currents, sorry.

If you need a boat launch, those are the stars (in the map below). Is there a boat launch at Kin Park too, does anyone know? If you're launching somelight light (canoe/kayak), there are a couple access points at Stephenson Point, or from the south (left) end of Pipers Lagoon, at the parking lot.

map to five fingers island nanaimo

+ Reply to Thread