+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Directions to the coal mines?

Default Directions to the coal mines?

I've been poking around on this site (which is brilliant, btw) and looking for info on the history of the coal mines and where to find some in and around town. I've found tonnes of photos and lots of posts but not a lot of info on directions and coordinates. Is there a thread that lists some mine locations and how to find them? Or can anybody post that kind of info here for me, please? Preferably spots that aren't too tricky to find.

I like to walk, hike, and explore but I don't want to go inside mines. Any other info links and info on the mines would be appreciated too. Is it possible to get an underground map of the mines somewhere?

Thanks!

Great to have you, Searchwrite.
    There's a lot of secrecy about where the locations are, because of concerns about the city feeling pressured (by the very fact/publicity of these forum threads) to destroy these artifacts (the mine openings/shafts/slopes) for reasons of liability and potential public pressure.
    In other words, there's a (sometimes elitist) culture of "you have to find them yourself". For now, suffice to say you should visit these pages/places:
    • Douglas Mine Slope (this is cool to see; you can't get in, and I don't recommend even getting close)
    • Extension Ridge
    • An interesting basic map of the mine workings in Nanaimo
    • There are a couple blocked mine entrances downtown (nothing really to see) - see posts 32 and 35 on page 4 of the mines thread
    • And of course, the rest of ^ that thread is also fairly revealing. If you go to any of the general locations mentioned in that thread, and look around for a few hours (perhaps on several occasions) you'll definitely find something
    Again, welcome! Hope to see you sharing your thoughts/stories/photos/questions with the rest of us.

Awesome. Thanks Riverrat!

+ Reply to Thread