+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Duke Point Ferry

Default Duke Point Ferry

Since the Duke Ferry Terminal has been under repairs, we've noticed the increase in ferry traffic on Departure Bay. All seems to be working great. Road traffic doesn't seem to be an issue either. I can't help but wonder why the Duke Point terminal exists? What was the reason behind having two terminals so close to each other?

Let's wait until summer before we make any conclusions about this. Even with them separated we get those huge lines of traffic on Stewart Ave and BrechinRd. in the summer. Some years are crazier than others, mind you.
    Coast Realty Nanaimo
    www.ryan-coffey.com

I think they should close Departure terminal--very vauable real estate in the centre of the city and direct all traffic to Duke Point. I suspect remedial costs to the land would be high

I sure would miss the ferries on departure bay if ever it were to shut down. I suspect that when you buy a home close to the terminal, you are aware that there may be heavy traffic at times. Was Duke Point opened mainly to reduce traffic within Nanaimo? If traffic was the major issue, I wonder why Departure Bay wasn't shut down then?

The handful of people I've talked to who live right on Brechin say that people they know who don't live there will comment on the heavy traffic but they say it's only for ten minutes once every couple of hours and it stops at night until the morning so it doesn't bug them so much.

I have mixed feelings about the idea of them shutting down that terminal. There is so much traffic that comes through there that exposes people to our town (and thus gives them a chance to be part of our economy) on their way through. They may not necessarily stop each time through and buy something but as they pass through they see that we have tons of things available for next time they pass through and realize they need something for whatever it is they're doing. In short, I think that traffic is important for our local economy.

That said, it is some beautiful waterfront real estate that could be used in such a more pleasant way. Everything from parks, to high end waterfront resort, make it into a nice beach to rival parksville's but all of these are expensive projects that will probably be hard to estimate the cost of because there are things that are hard to foresee (like how much it is going to cost to clean up the soil if it is contaminated) at this stage.
    Coast Realty Nanaimo
    www.ryan-coffey.com

I have mixed feelings also, however my belief is that the ferries on departure bay contribute greatly to Nanaimo's personality. I also agree that this "traffic" contributes to our economy... and we need that revenue. For all of us that love Nanaimo, we do realize that the economy here needs to improve to allow our children and grandchildren to enjoy living here also. I read a few articles in the papers about Nanaimo's Economic Development Officer observation regarding many locals with a negative attitude towards this city. I, too hear complaints often. Nanaimo needs to bring in business and industry to allow worthwhile job opportunities for future generations. Perhaps this was why Duke Point Ferry Terminal was opened... to create more employment? I don't know.

That's good point about the negative attitude a lot of people have here. I'm always baffled by it but kind of understand as well. You see, I grew up in the general area and used to be one of those people who used to complain about how things just aren't good enough. Then I spent quite a few years living in other parts of the country and world. And WOW did I learn that I was too busy complaining about how things don't measure up to the ideal world in my mind to notice that what we have is so much better than so much of what else is out there. I've never been anywhere that is perfect and things can always be better, but I've seen a lot in the world that made me super homesick for this place.

I always think the same thing when I encounter this sort of attitude. I always think that they should travel more. Besides, there is a whole world out there and if it really is better than here, then why are they still here?

Also, I think that people the world over tend to show their negative sides more while they are online and conisdering how wired our municipal government seems to be compared to others, it might be part of why they are seeing this attitude in the public.
    Coast Realty Nanaimo
    www.ryan-coffey.com

I always thought Duke Point was created to divert most of the large trucks and commercial traffic.

That what I heard/understood too.
    Coast Realty Nanaimo
    www.ryan-coffey.com

That makes sense to divert the larger vehicles to Duke Point. And yet... with Duke Point currently shut down, we haven't noticed any major traffic issues by the Departure Bay ferry terminal, and we are constantly driving right by there. This leads me to question the financial validity of operating Duke Point.

+ Reply to Thread