+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forget Stats Canada, What's the real wage to earn a real living?

Default Forget Stats Canada, What's the real wage to earn a real living?

Ok, sort of a loaded question but I think it stands:
    If you are a person with financial responsibilities what do you think it really takes to survive, financially, in the Nanaimo area?
    Take into account your mortgage or rent, RSP, utilities, taxes - everything. I'd be interested in the replies. I personally think that poverty is a loaded statement but if we strip back everything and let's say we are only talking about the working poor or maybe we are only talking about a professional that is working from pay day to pay day or maybe someone who is mortgage poor because they don't understand a floating point variable mortgage?

How many people here make less than $20K, $21K to $40K, $41K to $60K, $61K to $80K, $81K to $100K. $101K to $120K, 140, 160, 180 or more? There is lots of talk about unemployment but there is plenty of work out there, just not really close to home (the island) is all. How many people are really prepared to go look for it? Sorry for the rant, I'm just interested is all.
    Wyatt Earp
    Knows a thing or two about a thing or two but is always willing to learn about a third!
    www.arrowsmithpm.com

For me I think my answer to what a "real living" would be is, having enough money to cover your expenses and not worry about bills being paid late or not being able to afford groceries, etc. Now for everyone that would be different. Some people do not want expensive things, some people do. I am quite content living in an apartment. I do not "need" a house because right now I am single and I am not going to have children. So really for me, all of that space, is just a luxury.

So with what I just said in mind, I would be able to live a comfortable life style at 30k a year because at one point I did make that much, not anymore, lol. But I was happy making that money. From what I understand the poverty line in Nanaimo is 28k. But I also find it more expensive out here than when I lived in Ottawa. So maybe out here a comfy lifestyle for me would be 35k. That would be enough money for me to have a savings account and be able to travel every couple years on a big trip. And be able to afford to replace things right away when they break or get damaged in any sort of way.

I think it really depends on how bad a person wants more money. I see people everyday coming and going through my place of employment hopping on the first planes to Calgary once they get their training. I also think it depends on if you have family too. Some are not willing to uproot their lives and make that sacrifice. So they need to find other methods of income if they do not want to go where the money is. All the jobs out there that I see, I am not qualified for. Sure I could go to school, learn a trade or something and find better work but it is not what I want to do with my life. I will probably always be the "starving artist" because it is what I like to do. I just need to find more ways to cut my expenses so I can have more money. And get my business up and running to generate a second income for myself.
    Let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out

There is no simple answer. We live quite well on less than the proverty level. 2 people, a car, computers, cell phones and we eat quite well.
    We earn enough to pay all of our bills each month and never owe more than $1500 on our Visa which is usually spent when we holiday each year.
    We eat out about 4 times a month and enjoy life getting out to take pictures and have fun without spending a lot of money.
    No port theatre tickets or dinner at the Keg but we do OK. We also donate to charity.
    Too many live beyond their income level and that is why we don't have a simple answer.

Nanaimo / Paris / Port Harcourt / Lagos / Abuja / Frankfurt

I remember when my wife and I first got married 9 years ago, we were living in a basement suite, using a bathroom as also our kitchen, and cooking with a hotplate. I was at 15/hr, my wife was 25/hr but only part time. we put away very little for RSP, for car, for future house, tithing for church, etc... However life was simpler, AND LESS STRESSFUL.
    Now i'm at 70euro/hr, she's at 37/hr I think, luxury suv, hobbies, classes and activities for the 2 kids, rrsp, resp's, house, credit cards are always zeroized... Life is not simple, and MORE STRESSFUL. Having said that, this year I'm taking the fam to orlando, then to mexico, then to toronto, then to some other places.

What I do know is that how we cut up our wage for responsibilities, percent-wise remains the generally the same. Food costs have taken a larger chunk considering the addition of x2 people, etc...

to be around the 180k combined though, I do need to be away, on another continent full of black people who speak french.
    Doing bad things to bad people, since 1998 http://www.badassdadgearreview.com

Ahhh!!! You're in Quebec!

Nanaimo / Paris / Port Harcourt / Lagos / Abuja / Frankfurt

haha close
    afrique francophone

it's truly sad that to make a tonne of cash, one must be in crappy places.
    Doing bad things to bad people, since 1998 http://www.badassdadgearreview.com

+ Reply to Thread