+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Peacocks in Nanaimo?!?!

Default Peacocks in Nanaimo?!?!

My friend on Bayshore DR. just off Hammond Bay SWEARS they saw a "black and white peacock with pink legs" wandering in their backyard. I of course laughed at that and said there were no Peacocks on the Island (except maybe at the petting zoo in Victoria). Can anyone corroborate this?

I don't know about peacocks in the Hammond bay area but I had a peacock or more rightly a pea hen in our backyard about 8 yrs ago....absolutely freaked the cats LOL. It had wandered away from Westwood orchard, where there used to be several peacocks, which were seen frequently in the area. I haven't seen any though since the dog boarding kennel located to the orchard.

In and around north Nanaimo and Lantzville

I've seen peacocks up Doumont Road...

they're not peacocks they are chinese silver pheasants. I just took a picture of one in my back yard a minute ago I'll upload the picture in a minute. These guys have been around for a long time. Seems Like they are breeding successfully we see more and more of them every year. often a couple will come by at a time. They are quite tame, feed them a couple peanuts be nice to these beauties! They are male there are females some where nesting making babies.

So the story is they were being raised and lived at that old farm on Departure bay rd that got torn down 10 or so years ago they let their pheasants go and they have been doing quite fine on their own. They are our friends have been for a long time please do whatever you can to help them it would be really sad to see them go! We call them Frankie birds, if you see one call it it will probably come running to you. that's their peanut call haha. Help keep them off the roads, they seem to be spreading out.

What pretty birds! Thanks for the pic seaman.

Default Exotic birds . . .

aren't newcomers to Nanaimo. About forty years ago there was a guy in East Wellington who bred exotic birds and then released them. Yes, he made sure he only released ones that could survive in our climate. Since he lived on the same rural, sparsely-populated road as I did, it was fairly common for me to have to slow down because some gorgeous bird he'd raised would be walking across the road. Penticton now has a minor problem with peacocks (noisy as all get-out), and they have no idea how they got there. What happened, I think, is that birds that were raised twenty miles away went wild about fifty years ago, multiplied, and spread into new territory. My home town is where the peacocks were raised and even 'tho they were about three miles from our house, we could hear their screeching from our house. It's awful.

Thank you!! This is the evidence I needed!!! I guess I owe my friend a beer for doubting them!!!

Default Peacocks in Nanaimo

There are very many ferral peacocks in Nanaimo. They are a nuiscance and should be removed from here because they are not natural wildlife. They destroy gardens and make a horrible cat call that will go all day and night long. You will find peacocks in the Jinglepot (east wellington) areas, Yellowpoint all over and in Cedar. I had no idea they were in Hammond Bay, that is too bad.

+ Reply to Thread