+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Large Tools - Quick Question

Default Large Tools - Quick Question

what would you pay for this? can you give me an idea of how much i should ask for?
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1564..JPG
Views:	50
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	3623   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1565..JPG
Views:	45
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	3624   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1568..JPG
Views:	49
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	3625   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1572..JPG
Views:	49
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	3626   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1561..JPG
Views:	48
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	3627  

$100 each, maybe?!!

The Sears sander is very simialr to one I bought a couple years ago for $80 brand new.

As for values of the other stuff, the best guide is to find a new one and subtract 60% for used value. If it has rust or other issues, yet still works, 75% is normal deduction from new price.

Electric and air tools don't hold their values as abuse and/or neglect are common yet not easy to see. For example, the planer could have been "bogged" a few times and this can cause early failure, But, unless you tore it apart, you would not see it before buying. Also, the knives could be chipped, dulled or rusted and require replacement.

Hand tools which rarely fail and are easy to see abuse signs on, hold values better.

If you look around pawn shops, you will see beat-up, abused, neglected worn out things for sale at stupid high prices. These just never sell because smart people know what to look for. I once saw a planer with the power cord cut off, knives chipped like someone tried cutting stones and just all around mangled. The price: $220. A brand new one would cost twice that, but you would not have to buy expensive knives or put a power cord on it and it came with a warranty. Short version: NEVER trust pawn shop prices as a guide. Same for Ebay. Just because they ask that amount don't mean they get that amount.

Use common sense when pricing things.

An added funny about used item pricing. Recently, on craigslist, someone offered a used canoe for $2300. An observant person obviously caught that and posted about the price, warning others that this used canoe, with no extras was $2600 as a brand new price. The seller had it listed as being a few years old. The other person ragged him for being greedy and even went so far as to post a link showing the Canadian price and there it was, brand new for $2600. Both the ad and the response were gone that very day.

I laughed about this ad and reply. Someone tried to pull one over on people and someone busted on him for it.

+ Reply to Thread